Ty trailer winch question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Ty trailer winch question

Post by novotny »

I finally got a hold of a trailer for my TY, my friend who welds (good to have those) is modifying it for me. I am using Triad Trailer specs posted by Snapfish which were very helpfull. One question remaining is what size winch to use. I read somewhere to go with 1/2 of the weght of the boat which would make it a 1000 lb winch. Floating the boat on is nice but from my experience sometimes you just cant help but to drag the boat up over the bunk to get it to where it belongs on the trailer which puts good amount of stress on the winch. I am tempted to go bigger but i am not sure how much bigger. Doas anyone know what Triad uses? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Correction: the Triad specs were posted by Sharkbait, not Snapfish, sorry.
tartansailor

Keel Support

Post by tartansailor »

Triad has a carpet covered channel to support the keel.
I would be amazed if you could drag a boat that heavy
over a solid plane, unless your keel is sitting on rollers.

Dick
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Triad Winch For A Ty

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Novotny,

Mine has a Fulton 1500 lb winch with a 9" crank handle.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
novotny

Post by novotny »

Thanks John....
Tartansailor, I mean drag while the trailer is still in the water, the leading edge of the keel is on the bunk and the back end is still somewhat buoyant, I dont mean drag it with the winch on dry land. For that we use "panic stop"--slam the brakes a bit :)