Teak Guard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rtbates

Post by rtbates »

rtbates wrote:
aja wrote:Randy,

6-8 coats... if that is the case then they have definitely changed their directions, and maybe they have changed their formula too. Let me know if you get a "glittery" look or not. Maybe we'll switch back...

Diana
will do.
send me a PM with your email and I'll send photos of Seraph's 6 month old teakguard.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

The May 2009 issue of Practical Sailor has a detailed article on teak finishes, including one and two part varnishes, teak oils and sealers, etc. A total of about 50 different products were tested.

There is a large two page spread of test results. If I am reading it correctly (I am generally considered to be dumber than a rock :oops: ) the Teak Guard ("Nanovations Teak Guard") did not do well in the initial 6 mths test results. The tests were done in Sarasota, Florida which gets "almost as much" UV as Southeast Florida. :wink:

They did note that Teak Guard was very easy to apply. They also said they applied 2 coats. I was of the impression that you were supposed to apply at least 4 coats to exterior teak.

Anyways, the winds are again very, very high (20-22 kts projected) today. I have applied 3 coats of Cetol Marine Natural Teak and will try to apply the 1st coat of Cetol Clear Gloss. In the PS report, Cetol products generally got very good ratings. For some reason the Cetol Marine Natural Teak, although it got "excellent" or "good" ratings in each category, did not get the famous red check mark. Not sure why. All the other Cetol products tested seemed to get similar ratings and they all got the red check mark. Inappropriate discrimination :?: I am not sure.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Two coats?? No wonder.

Seems even PS doesn't appreciate the benefit of reading and following directions!

I quote from teakguards web page,"In order to get the maximum lifetime out of your wood, we suggest that you keep applying coats until the last coat dries shiny. Because TeakGuard must penetrate to work, any shiny coats will not add to the lifetime of the product."

Apply 6 coats and it's a whole different ball game. Your results may vary, mine sure have, from PS results, that is...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Sea Hunt - be wary of teak products Randy recommends :-)
See old threads on Teaqua ......
We regret putting teaqua on our boat. We did it again this year because we don't have time to do something different and but next year it's definitely going to be something different !
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

mahalocd36 wrote:Sea Hunt - be wary of teak products Randy recommends :-)
See old threads on Teaqua ......
We regret putting teaqua on our boat. We did it again this year because we don't have time to do something different and but next year it's definitely going to be something different !
So do I Mellisa. yup, teaqua turned out to be a dud....Sorry about being wrong... Now teakguard, that's a.....

Any rate it's what I have come upon after getting all the teaqua off and after 7 months it's much much better than anything I've used..

YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY, my new tag line...-
Randy 25D Seraph #161
John Laton

Back to TeakGuard..

Post by John Laton »

Gave up the schooner varnish idea and went back to TeakGuard this year after 2 years of using teak oil with very poor results. Seems that with oil whatever is floating around in the air of New Haven harbor attaches itself into the grain and the next year it's almost impossible to clean and bleach out. Some tuff stuff... At least with teakGuard, properly applied, it rinses off nicely. Just make sure you tape, get the sponge brush well wrung out and keep lots of rags handy.

I'm back in the TeakGuard camp !

John
s/y Paradox
CD25D #55
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Update on CMNT & Cetol Clear Gloss

Post by Sea Hunt »

I know somewhere there is a thread discussing Cetol Marine Natural Teak ("CMNT"), etc. I cannot find it. :(

Today I finished the toe and rub rail restoration. I replaced the damaged section of toe rail (I did NOT damage it). A wayward power boater did so and declined to leave a calling card :( .

I sanded all of the toe and rub rails to bare teak. I applied 3 coats of CMNT and 2 coats of Cetol Clear Gloss ("CCG"). The application is, by my standards, comparatively easy. The problems arise if you have strong winds. I applied all 5 coats from a rowboat attached to S/V Tadpole. High winds all 5 days. :(

The combination of the rocking of the rowboat and the rocking of S/V Tadpole made for an "interesting" 5 days. :wink: Fortunately, all went well.

Results: As of today, the day on which I applied the 2nd coat of CCG, the toe and rub rails look GREAT :!: :!: This is by my standards (a died in the wool old time sailboat lover who really, really likes teak). To my untrained eye, the color and clarity of the teak is EXCELLENT :!: :!: :!: I do NOT make any predictions on what she will look like in 8-10 mths. For now, she remains "the prettiest girl in the fleet". That was my goal.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Cetol Natural Teak and Clear Gloss Fan

Post by Doug Gibson »

I redid teak last year with Cetol Natural Teak and Clear Gloss and just finished applying two 'maintenance' coats of Clear Gloss. I am very pleased with results after 1+ year. Only failures in finish were self inflicted (nicks from winch handles).

Granted, northern california is not too tough on finishes, but I've been the traditional varnish route and would not go back at this point.
Doug Gibson
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

This post will once again demonstrate how dumb I really am. :(

As previously posted, after scraping and sanding the toe and rub rails to bare teak and washing and cleaning the teak, last week and earlier this week I applied 3 coats of Cetol Marine Natural Teak ("CMNT") followed by 2 coats of Cetol Clear Gloss ("CCG").

This morning, over coffee, I began to think about applying additional coats of CMNT in the future - either as complete recoats or "touch ups". It occurred to me that because I have 2 coats of CCG on top of the CMNT I may not be able to simply apply 1-2, or 3 coats of CMNT directly on top of the CCG.

I tried researching this issue on Google and found several articles published by Sikkens concerning application of CMNT and CCG (temp, humidity issues, time between applications, etc.) However, none of the articles addressed the issue of "touching up" or reapplying CMNT once you have applied CCG.

Sooooooooo, I turn to the collective wisdom and real world experience of this board.

Question: Can I apply additional coats of CMNT on top of 2 coats of CCG or do I need to sand down/off the CCG before applying CMNT :?:

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, comments, etc. I again apologize for being so very dumb. The more I reflect on matters the more I realize how accurate the Admiral was -I am "dumber than a rock and older than dirt". :(
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Marc Theriault

Sea Hunt

Post by Marc Theriault »

Sea Hunt,

Yes you can but Cetol is not varnish and in this case more coats is not better.Why? Because Cetol is micro-porous, the more coats you add the less pores still effective.

Marc
rtbates

another 25D with teakguard

Post by rtbates »

This 25D is a beauty. It's the first example of teakguard other than Seraph that I've seen. Absolutely beautiful..

Photo link http://adobe.kodakgallery.co ... tos_button
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

When you need to recoat the Cetol, I would think you would just use the clear gloss. Unless the underlying marine natural teak has deteriorated. Then you would have to sand, coat with natural and recoat with the gloss. If you give it a coat or two yearly I would think you would just buff it with a scotchbright and coat with the gloss.
Rebinva

Any idea how many coats of Teakguard are on the 25???

Post by Rebinva »

Thanks.
rtbates

Re: Any idea how many coats of Teakguard are on the 25???

Post by rtbates »

Rebinva wrote:Thanks.

I have no idea, BUT if he followed directions it would be at least three.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you pictures of Seraph's teakguard, which has 6 coats.
Randy 25D Seraph #161