Can a 35lb CQR be lifted by hand?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

We've been using a 35lb CQR as our primary anchor for years. Both me and my husband can lift and deploy it manually. But we quite often need an assist from the engine to break it free.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Maine Sail

Re: Rocna???

Post by Maine Sail »

Breault5 wrote:I've been considering purchasing a new anchor and the Rocna sounds like the one. Does anyone have any experience with these anchors? My cd30 has a 25lb. inadequate wannabe CQR and I was wondering if the 22lb. Rocna would be sufficient vs stepping up to the 33lb Rocna. My concern with stepping up to the 33lb is the effort with pulling it up after it get buried, as I have no windlass either.
The 22 Rocna will be a good fit for your 30 footer. It has roughly the same surface area as a 35 CQR.

My buddy Tim just gave me back my 25 pound Manson Supreme after using is successfully for two+ years on his Ericson 35-3.

I use a 33 Rocna on a 17,500+/- displacement 36 footer but would have no qualms using a Rocna 22 under conditions up to about 40 knots on my own boat.

Again you should not be breaking the anchor free from the bottom, that is the boats job. If you get a good technique all you'll need to do is retrieve rode and the only heavy lifting will be the 15-20 feet from the bottom to the bow..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Breault5

RE: Rocna??

Post by Breault5 »

Thank you Main Sail. That is what I assumed based on the spec sheet from Rocna. It seemed to me the 22lb Rocna was equivalent to a 35 CQR as far as holding abilities. I realize there is a lot to be said for under-sizing your anchor and dealing with sleepless nights, but having the equivalent to the 35 lb. CQR is really the maximum I would ever need. Based on my research, the Rocnas ability to set quickly and hold firm is really what is selling me on this anchor. Since you have experience with this anchor is the hype true? Thank you again for your comments!
Maine Sail

Re: RE: Rocna??

Post by Maine Sail »

Breault5 wrote: Since you have experience with this anchor is the hype true? Thank you again for your comments!
Yes the hype about the Rocna is true. I must however put my comments into context.

I own the following anchors that I have compared it to personally:

Spades - one in aluminum one in steel
CQR's - two of them both genuine
Supermax
Fortress
Bruce - genuine
Danforth
Manson Supreme

Sold the Delta..

Both the Rocna and Manson Supreme are superb anchors and the Spade would come in a distant third..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Troy,

The boat is a nesting dinghy my brother built as a prototype for me. See his page

http://www.arrogantwoodworker.com/woodw ... ge%201.htm

He has got the design and build process down pat now as he has built four of the things. Mine is the 11 foot Sybil. It is a rounded hull version of Dave Gerr's Nester Dinghy he had out in his book The Nature of Boats.

It works well and is not complex and goes together and comes apart easily. I like rowing so it is a much better option for me than an inflatable as it rows well and carries a load. It is 5.5 feet long nested so I keep it on the coach roof normally. This allows me to leave the hatch open for ventilation when away from the boat with no worry of rain. It is only on the foredeck in the photo as I store it there for the winter so the crane can pull the boat - again, over the hatch so I can leave it open all winter.

I have fit five adults in it but it is cozy. My family of four fits nicely with gear. I have overloaded it many, many times and in too rough water and it has always keep me out of Superior's cold water. My brother puts a motor on his and it goes.

But then this is supposed to be an anchor posting. Send me a PM if you have more questions. I'll write all night!

Paul
Troy Scott

the dinghy

Post by Troy Scott »

Thanks, Paul!

I knew I'd seen that before. It's a neat solution. But you're right, this should not be part of the anchor thread. Sorry folks.....
Regards,
Troy Scott