putting up a mast on a CD Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

donjsnyder

putting up a mast on a CD Typhoon

Post by donjsnyder »

can anyone tell me the best way to raise the mast on my typhoon?
thank you. DJS
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Raise Ty Mast

Post by Oswego John »

Do you have a hinged or pivoted mast base, or is the mast keel stepped and it passes through the cabin roof?

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Raising a Ty mast

Post by Ned Crockett »

I find that it takes two people. I tie about a 20' line to the end of the jib halyard for the person located forward and standing on the ground. I am in the cockpit lifting and moving the mast aft until I can slide the base pins into the cabin top bracket. It helps to have a mast support (mine is made of 2X4s) to rest the mast on as you move it aft. Once the pins are in, I begin lifting the mast and the person on the ground pulls on the line. I guide the mast up until it is vertical. Make sure the aft stay is secured and the side stays are loose but secure before beginning the raising. I then go forward and secure the forestay. I have read that some Ty sailors have no trouble raising the mast by themselves, but I would be afraid to try it. Good luck, Ned Crockett
"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails."
ronkberg

I raise my mast alone......

Post by ronkberg »

Hi DJS, I raise my Ty mast w/o assistance accept for a block 'n tackle to help haul her up. I also put a heavy bungy cord across the boat near the mast base. That cord holds the mast down and ready to mate with the mast base. Otherwise when you walk the mast aft, she will raise at the base and mother nature will try to pull the mast off the rear transom........highly undesirable!

I live in Old Orchard Beach and am more than willing to coach you in this simple task. I work in Scarborough til 3PM weekdays and am starting my spring prep on my boat on weekends. Falmouth is an easy trip for me and just drop me a PM with your telephone number and we can schedule a meeting.

By the way, this is very easy process for two people.

Regards, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Appleton68

Mast

Post by Appleton68 »

I agree with both of the last two posts; combine the answers & you are all set. I would add, if there is any tension, then stop, as you might have crossed the stays or a stay is stuck on something. If I can add a 3rd person, I do, so somebody can secure the forestay immediately, once the mast is up. Finally, be careful of the hatch cover, as you know it slides forward, so if you drop the mast for a "correction", you have to check its location.
Greg
Hymodyne

Post by Hymodyne »

There is a good article on this subject in the most recent issue of Good Old Boat

hym
dvm2nd

ty mast stepping

Post by dvm2nd »

I use the main halyard. Tie a figure eight knot at the end. Then run the halyard shackle through the anchor eyelet. Then run the line back to the cockpit around the winch. Then place mast into the tabernacle. Then pull the halyard(shackle end) while slowly raising the mast. You are now using mechanical advantage. Once the mast is fully upright secure the halyard. Then attach the backstay, then the shrouds finally the fore stay.

Note: the mast will be wobbly, but it won't fall over.

I have had Wind Song for over ten years now. I have always raised the mast by myself. The mast has never gone overboard or anybody injured.
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Re: ty mast stepping

Post by novotny »

dvm2nd wrote:I use the main halyard. Tie a figure eight knot at the end. Then run the halyard shackle through the anchor eyelet. Then run the line back to the cockpit around the winch. Then place mast into the tabernacle. Then pull the halyard(shackle end) while slowly raising the mast. You are now using mechanical advantage. Once the mast is fully upright secure the halyard. Then attach the backstay, then the shrouds finally the fore stay.

Note: the mast will be wobbly, but it won't fall over.

I have had Wind Song for over ten years now. I have always raised the mast by myself. The mast has never gone overboard or anybody injured.
I would strongly suggest to attach the backstay before raising the mast. I also loosely attach the lower stays.