Typhoon Hull Liner Repair

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

KVickers

Typhoon Hull Liner Repair

Post by KVickers »

After about two solid days of pressure washing and cleaning, I'm ready to move on to something more exciting. Although it's amazing what a good cleaning does for the overall appearance. I think I saw almost every inch inside of the cabin (at least everywhere that I could twist my 6'4" frame to reach).

The hull liner has a lot of superficial cracks as can hopefully be seen in the picture link posted below. It seems that these chips need grinded out, filled and sanded smooth. I think simply painting over them will only result in the cracks appearing again.

Any suggestions about the best method to accomplish this, best tools, etc. would be appreciated.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... pr7048.jpg
...at rest on ocean's brilliant dyes...an image of Elysium lies...(E.A.P 1849)
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

I am not sure of what or where we are looking. Is that paint blisters or has the gel coat separated from the glass? If this is gel coat then just about all you can do is grind away the damaged areas (the whole thing) and apply new gel coat. If it is paint blisters then just about all you can do is grind away the damaged areas (the whole thing) and apply new paint. Notice the similarity of the two statements. Get a really good dust mask for this kind of work. Get a really good chemical mask when you start applying gel coat or paint in such a confined area.
Have A Nice Day
KVickers

Post by KVickers »

The picture shown is in the cockpit, port locker. The dark areas at the bottom left of the picture are locations where the gel coat chipped away from the underlying layer exposing the darker sub-surface. If I take the edge of a knife to any of the cracks that can be seen in the picture, you can easily "chip" out another hole. Would it be "easier" to fill the voids left after grinding with epoxy rather than new gel coat, in light of the fact that I intend to repaint after the repairs?
tartansailor

That Looke Like Delamination

Post by tartansailor »

That looks like delamination from what I can interpret from your pic.
I could be wrong.
If you can get a putty knife under the imperfection, and lift pieces off, than your best course of action would be to grind it all off, sand smooth, and spray a 2 component urethane.

Dick
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

:) sorry

at one time the boat was flooded thats what happens when water sits inside to long....

thats happens to many people after they buy the boat and find that you have two things you can do, leave it alone or fix it...

my ty was flooded twice and i got lucky that did not happen....

most people leave it alone and as long as its not seeping water in side....

if its all over your in for allot of work and expense or just sell the boat and get another one....

sorry, thats the way i see it,

it happens to allot people with older boats...

have you guys ever been to a boat grave yard, all of them have that problem....
winthrop
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

it can be fixed, :)

but you have to remove all of it first and redo it right,

also it needs to be out of the water and dried out, totaly...

i had to do that when i had one inch long barnacles from bow to stern....

the boat stayed out of the water for three months for all the repairs, which takes a long time, by one person ever sunday...

most people would not do that job and the expense is going to be high...

if you had some else do it for you...

i did a job very simular inside the boat,

he paid me $30 an hour x 36 hours + supplies = $1550

and his boat was 32' and he had to pay me and the yard, he was out of pocket was around $2350.

the expense got to him and year later he sold the boat and got a 22' for less money...

i just want you to see the whole job on the typhoon...

a used typhoon gets around $2000 and up....
winthrop
KVickers

Hull Liner

Post by KVickers »

Here I was with a focus on rotten decks and mastering toerail and rub rail replacement and the really tough work was in the cabin! I did walk into this restoration with the mindset that, like life, there's some ups and there's some downs. When the PO said he had some other things he thought went to the boat after the sale, I showed up and got the Spartan motor bracket and and brand new jib....so that was one of the good days.

I know this liner won't affect the boats' ability to sail, but the delamination in the cabin is evident in at least 50% of the interior, and it really does look bad. There's some interesting spots to get to as well. So...regardless of the efforts and bodily contortions ahead, I intend to grind out the spots that have delaminated and fill with West System Epoxy using 404 High-Density adhesive filler as a thickener. I'll have to experiment with timing to tackle areas where the repair is on a vertical section of the liner.

Thanks for all your input. If it turns out well, I'll post a picture of the results. If not, I'll probably just keep it to myself. :wink: