fresh water system conversion

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Javor

fresh water system conversion

Post by Tom Javor »

Here's a question that may well be covered in the archives but I haven't found it...and I'm guessing the answer is "don't do it".

I've looked at a 25D that does not have pressure water or, as a result, a shower. Beyond having to install some sort of a hot water heater, another set of lines and new faucets what else is involved? I am assuming that the head compartment as maufactured has an appropriate drain in place. Would it require new tankage? I'm assuming existing cold water line would need replacement as well. Has anyone done this and how diffcult a project is it? My gut reaction is that it is a major project and not something I would want to tangle with.

One reason I would go with a 25D is the ability to have a shower in a decent space. Without the shower I find it difficult to justify the space consued by the 25D head.

In general I am not overly concerned with either pressure water or shower facilities on board. They are a luxury, but one I would see as an adequate "compromise" between going up in size to a 28 or 30 and the more modest operating expenses of a 25.

Anyone care to chime in with thoughts and/or experience on the conversion?

Thanks
TJ
Doug Fallin

Solar Shower

Post by Doug Fallin »

Buy a solar shower and use the extra space for storage. I never liked the idea of a shower on a smaller boat. While at sea, it just isn't something Id do. And at anchor, it creates too much moisture below. Larger boats have adequate room, drainage and ventilation. I had a 32 footer before and I even thought the head was too crowded for a shower.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

There is a drain, but . . .

Post by Joe Myerson »

Tom:

The ample head compartment of the 25D does have a nice floor drain, and a teak grate. But the drain empties into the bilge.

There's room for a shower, but I think I'd want to rig up some curtains to protect the woodwork (and the door to the head). I personally use a Sunshower, usually on the foredeck (wearing a swimsuit, of course).

The Sunshower will also hang right through the foredeck hatch, if you want to shower off inside.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Shower in a 25D

Post by trapper »

Saga has electric water and a shower although she does not have hot water. I am glad to know she is not the only one whose shower drains into the bilge. We have not yet addressed the plumbing and I was thinking there was a problem.

We have had showers at the marina or club everywhere we have docked her so on board showering so far has not been an issue. I enjoy the electric water pump especially since I have cleaned the tank several times and it does not take up much room.

Without engine heated water, I don't think hot water would be worth it. The sunshower sounds best to me. I also agree that the head teak would suffer from soap, water and grime.

Headed out to go sailing right now--a beautiful day in SC.
Amgine

Post by Amgine »

Likewise, our 25D has the drain pan to the bilge. And I've used it using a solar shower hung from the forestay down through the forehatch (crowded anchorage, and I'm body shy.)

If I were going to rig pressure water again, I'd also rig an overboard drain for the shower by adding a sump (like a permanently affixed battery box, if I could figure out how to get at the drain pan) with a small bilge pump with float switch. I'd make sure the sump can over-flow into the bilge if necessary, and thus also serve as a back-up bilge pump.

However, I'm really enjoying *not* having pressure water, after removing the PO's system which failed within hours of my purchasing the boat and cost me lots of time and money trying to restore/maintain. The galley now has a whale gusher foot pump, which has been an amazing success once it finally got installed. The head will get one soon, and if I could figure out a diverter/water heater system I'd install a foot-pumped shower too.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: fresh water system conversion

Post by Neil Gordon »

Tom Javor wrote:I've looked at a 25D that does not have pressure water or, as a result, a shower. Beyond having to install some sort of a hot water heater, another set of lines and new faucets what else is involved?
The endless quest to get all the comforts of home into 25 feet.

1 - Get a Sun Shower.

2 - Donate the money you don't spend on pressure water, etc., to your favorite charity.

3 - Use the time you save (by not installing and servicing) to go sailing.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698