Re-E-Power

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seajunkie

Re-E-Power

Post by seajunkie »

I love the idea of an electric motor. The discussion on Torqeedo’s is getting me off on this tangent. I saw adds for Re-E-Power in Good Old Boat a while back and it peaked my curiosity. I checked out their web page: http://www.re-e-power.com/index.html and was fascinated about this product. Off course the price isn’t inline with my purse at the moment, but if mass produced, the product could become very affordable and appropriate for a CD.

It would be pretty cool to glass over the bottom of the outboard well and drop one of these little machines inside. There is plenty of room for enough batteries in the well and under the cockpit. The installation looks very straight forward.

On the web page they have links to some installation videos. Any thoughts?
Seajunkie
Oliver
Credo
Branford CT

Post by Oliver »

Seajunkie,

I installed the re-e-power System 3000 on my CD Intrepid 28 last season. My Diesel failed at the end of the previous season so I had to repower. I looked at all the options and settled on re-e-power as being the best and most economical.

I installed the unit myself and it wasn't too difficult. I enjoy cruising quietly out of the harbor, and I love not having the smell of Diesel down below.

It takes time to gain confidence in a new system. I was always worried about having enough juice to get back in, but I never had any trouble. I use about 10 Amps while cruising down the river in the no-wake zone. The series 31 batteries have 140 Amp hours capacity, so at 10 Amps that could be 14 hours.

When I bought it I thought having regen capability was a big deal. I found though, that I didn't like the hum of the prop while I was sailing. Others might not mind it. This year I'm adding a Gori geared, folding prop to lessen drag and make her sail quietly.

I also bought a Honda EU2000 generator which I will carry as a backup source of charging power.

I have pictures but I don't see how to attach them.

Regards,
Oliver
boogie

Battery power calculation

Post by boogie »

Hi Oliver
The true amount of power that can be used is almost a quarter of the amount you calculated. (As per Nigel Calder and other “Mavinesâ€
Last edited by boogie on Mar 14th, '09, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver
Credo
Branford CT

Post by Oliver »

Thanks for the clarification, Jacob. That's good to know.

My trip from slip to open water is about 25 minutes, so I haven't pushed it too far.
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Electric Power

Post by sealark »

While I haven't specifically looked at the Re E Power system - I have researched extensively the use of the electric inboard systems to push my CD 28. When I purchased her - the inboard was removed. The PO had installed an outboard bracket so I am currently using an 8hp outboard to move her around until I can afford an inboard.

These are some of the web sites I have found - although all for electric inboards - they have some valuable info:

www.abovethewaterline.net
www.solidnav.com
www.electricyacht.com

As far as power goes - I have personally witnessed the use of an electric inboard (Electric Yacht System) in a sailboat at a marina hear in FL. It is quite impressive. Now - this boat only weighs about 3000 lbs - but the motor brought us to hull speed very quickly and dealing with tidal currents was a joke. At times - I felt as though I was on a power boat.

In terms of range on a single charge - I know that it is about a 35 - 45 minute trip each way through the channel to get to open water - and there was never an issue of running out of power. Also - owner of the boat has very basic - run of the mill deep cell batteries. I would think with a backup generator - that could eliminate some of the worry of running out of power.

I think the one thing that impresses me most about the electric power is the instant on/off availability of the power. While navigating the channel to open water - there are several times (depending on the wind) where you go from needing the motor to being able to sail. I have made the trip myself - I just leave the motor running the entire time - never shut it off until in open water. With the electric power - it is so easy to turn on and off - you just don't use it when you don't need it. I think you find that your motor usage is dramatically reduced.

From my current dock - I have to go through a draw bridge to get into the gulf - while waiting for the bridge to open - I sit there with the motor running in neutral - as do most people I know. With the electric - if you aren't physically turning the prop - you aren't using any power.

Anyways - thats my 2 cents for now. I think the option of electric power is very enticing and will continue my research. I think that an electric inboard with a backup generator seems like the perfect setup to me.
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Thanks for the replies. I think this is going to be a hot topic during the next ten years. Oliver please keep us posted with your experience using this system. I sent you a PM with my email address. I would be happy to post any pictures you might have of your installation.

The idea of electric just seems to be a natural for sailors. I would love quiet motoring. We rarely need power, but when we need it has to be reliable. The weight from batteries can be strategically positioned in a sailboat. For folks who mostly day sail this seems perfect.

This re-e-power is fascinating because there is no drive shaft or cutless bearing. The installation looks simple. I've looked at some of the systems on the new catamarans and the electronics required makes my head spin. Sail magazine had a piece on electric power last year and all of the systems seemed impractical for “regular guysâ€
Seajunkie
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Here is Oliver's Intrepid 38 Installation. It looks nice!

Click on the thumbnail for a larger shot. Thanks Oliver.

Seajunkie
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I wonder how something like this would work in our full keel attached rudder configuration?

This looks like a great solution for many sailboats.

Paul
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

E-Power

Post by Oswego John »

When attaching a power pod under the hull, I would say that you have to be very careful with the placement of the lifting straps.

Thinking outside of the box department:

Here's a far out, wild and maybe crazy thought. With a full keel, if there was a pod on either side of the keel (twin screw), a lot of the backing out of slip problems would be greatly reduced.

Don't worry, be happy mon. It's only money. :roll:

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Oliver
Credo
Branford CT

twin re-e-power system

Post by Oliver »

If you could afford the twin system it would be an interesting setup. I believe some have already done it. Having push-pull capability would be an advantage. Battery weight might be a problem. I have 4 series 31 batteries which total 300 pounds. Would you double the batteries or run the motors in parallel?
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Twin Screw

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Oliver,

Gee, I don't know much at all about E-Power. I was only making supposition on others' comments and thoughts.

My personal electrical boating demands at the present are very low key. I sail an 18 1/2 foot Ty W/E. I generally day sail in my local area waters. To comply with rules and regulations, my boat uses a larger size lawn mower battery. KISS personified.

In talking about weight, if I'd dare bare my thoughts to the world, I would expose one of my inner desires. Either/or, I have always dreamed of installing a billiards table in my Ty or a grand piano. :D :D :D

Enjoy life,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Two motors wouldn't take twice the power.

The pod idea presents a whole mess of problems our boats don't currently have to deal with. Lifting straps could be a disaster. Lobster pots would love that bulb. Keel bolts always seem to present problems and the pod attachment mimics that pretty well.

I like the inboard motor shaft and prop arrangement for our boats.

I dread the though of being forced to replace my engine. Looking at some of those inboard electric motors is facinating. You could add a lot of batteries for the weight of an engine and all the fuel you carry. A bunch of solar and wind generation would be in order if you were not on a dock with shore power. A little gas or diesel generator would set you right up.

It is hard to imagine how clean and tidy the engine compartment would be with this set up. No fuel tank, engine, instrument panel, exhaust system, heat exchanger, fuel filters, oil changes, fuel spill worries, spare parts, noise, smell, vibration, man I am selling myself on this.

I could see a large bank of maintainence free batteries covered with a shelf for stowage all painted up white.

Right now, all I see is white outside so it is a good day for dreamin, Steve.
warrenescape
Hull #260

electric power

Post by warrenescape »

I would really like to know more about your conversion to electric power on your CD 28 - how did you deal with the rudder and shaft position? If you wouldn't mind discussing - give me a call - 408-821-8070 - Thanks & Regards - Warren
warrenescape
Hull #260

electric power

Post by warrenescape »

I would really like to know more about your conversion to electric power on your CD 28 - how did you deal with the rudder and shaft position? If you wouldn't mind discussing - give me a call - 408-821-8070 - Thanks & Regards - Warren
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Hull reinforcements?

Post by Michael Abramson »

These comments are for Oliver.

A motor of that size would produce a lot of torque, which would twist the strut that it hangs from. The length of the strut would magnify that effect. How does one strengthen the hull to distribute these loads? Does the motor conversion supplier provide guidelines? I see what look like large threaded "keel" bolts but these need to go into something inside the hull that is not there in the original hull design.

I think the benefits of electric power could be quickly offset by chronic leaks up the keel bolts from the hull to strut joint. How did you prevent that?

Thanks.