Original Yanmar Diesel model # in CD 25Ds

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Original Yanmar Diesel model # in CD 25Ds

Post by Sea Hunt »

Next week I plan to look at a 1982 Cape Dory 25D. I am told it has a Yanmar 1GM 10 auxiliary that has 60 hours since major overhaul.

What was the standard Cape Dory Mfg. factory diesel installation for CD 25Ds, particularly in the 1982/1983 time frame :?:

I am pretty sure it was Yanmar but do not know/recall the model number, etc. From the CD 25Ds I had looked at many, many months ago, I seem to recall it being a Yanmar 1GM8 (which was technically a 7.5 hp), but my memory is "shaky" at best. :roll: I have tried researching this on this board as well as with Yanmar websites. So far, not surprisingly, given my lack of computer skills, no luck. :(
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

That's right, it's a 1GM

Post by Joe Myerson »

You've got the model right.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
barfwinkle

Depends on the Boat

Post by barfwinkle »

Hi Robert

Rhapsody came with the 1GM which is the 7.5 HP version. I guess it was an option at the time of purchase. I also assume that the 1GM10 is still a one lunger. I also know that some 25Ds were ordered with Westebeck (sp) 10 or 12s, but again new purchase option or refit since manufacture.

Good Luck & fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

To my understanding CD switch over to the GM series just about that time, '82 model onward. My CD 27 has the 8YSM horizontal orientated piston where the GM series have a vertical orientated piston. I would imagine the vertical cyclinder 1GM might be smoother? Anyway on the plus side if it is the 1GM series, there still should be plenitful parts available where my 8YSM parts are getting very scarce.

Good luck.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Bill's right

Post by Joe Myerson »

Actually, the 1GM on my 25D is rated at 7.5 hp. Other boats had the 10 hp model.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

1GM10 in CD25D #184

Post by bhartley »

Pyxis came with a Yanmar 1GM10 from the factory.
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

The Yanmar vs. Westerbeke

Post by CruiseAlong »

The 1GM was the standard offer, 7.5 hp, one lung
The optional Westerbeke engine was 10 hp, two cylinder, more importantly it was fresh water cooled, ran smoother.....
Dana
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I have been trying to do some additional research on this issue and have gone back through my notes of CD 25Ds (and CD 27s) that I have looked at over the past 2-3 years (a total of 31, including many Ty Weekenders and two CD 28s :!: ).

CruiseAlong's post reminded me that about a year ago I looked at a 1985 CD 25D in Rhode Island that was one of the very last CD 25Ds built by Cape Dory (if not the very last one built). The owner had all the original factory invoices, optional equipment lists, etc. from Cape Dory. It showed that a Westerbeke 10 was installed as an "option" versus the Yanmar. Unfortunately, we could not come close on a price.

As confirmed by the above posts, it looks like Cape Dory routinely installed the 1GM 8 (technically a 7.5 hp) in the 1981, 1982 and possibly some 1983 models. In the 1982/1983 time frame they may have started installing the 1GM 10 (technically a 9 hp), either as standard or as an "upgrade". In 1984/1985 they may have had the Westerbeke 10 as a "upgrade" from the Yanmar

The CD 25D I hope to look at next week is a 1982 (hull #75). The ad says a 1GM 10 so I am now assuming this is the original Yanmar from 1982.

Once again the members of this board have provided me (the dummy, tadpole sailor :oops: ) with invaluable, accurate and timely information. I cannot begin to calculate the value of this board, and its members, to someone like me who knows so very, very little. I am very grateful.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Bruce Barber
Shady Side, MD

1GM vs 1GM10

Post by Bruce Barber »

Sea Hunt,
My 1982 25D is #77, two later than the one you'll be looking at, and has the 1GM, not the 1GM10. You probably can't tell by looking, since they are the same engine with the block bored out a bit for the 10's higher power. Look for the label plate to be sure. The only external difference that you might see is the size of the mounted fuel filter, which is a little longer on the 10. (I also bought an air filter element once that was too deep for the 1GM's housing, so apparently there was that difference too.)

I'd always thought that the 1GM10 superseded the 1GM, but maybe they were both available in 1982. Let us know what you find.
Bruce Barber
Dick Barthel

Invoice

Post by Dick Barthel »

Be sure and get the documentation of the "major overhaul" to be clear on exactly what has been done and by whom.

my 2 cents

Dick
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Dick:

Excellent advise. Thanks. I have advised the broker I would like to look at all the Yanmar work invoices, especially given the fact the engine is 27 years old and a major overhaul was supposedly done on her just 60 hours ago. I have also asked to look at other invoices (sail care, rigging, etc.) which is something I normally do, always with the caveat that I do not want anyone to go to any extraordinary efforts to obtain documents. If easily available, however, I would want to look at them.

I won't have a freaking clue what they say or mean :oops: , but I like to look at them. :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

Very true, overhaul is a word whose meaning lies entirely in the eye of the beholder. If you really overhauled such a simple engine it would be like buying a new one considering what Yanmar replacements cost.

From my own experience with the YSM8, one of the most costly parts to replace is the head. After almost thirty years, the cooling ports got clogged with debris and eventually it cracked.
Ron Churgin
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Bill's right

Post by Duncan »

Joe Myerson wrote:...the 1GM on my 25D is rated at 7.5 hp. Other boats had the 10 hp model.
Sea Hunt wrote:As confirmed by the above posts, it looks like Cape Dory routinely installed the 1GM 8 (technically a 7.5 hp) in the 1981, 1982 and possibly some 1983 models. In the 1982/1983 time frame they may have started installing the 1GM 10 (technically a 9 hp)
Actually, Yanmar were a little optimistic all around on the numbers
A 1GM had a continuous hp rating of 6.5 @3400.

'Maximum output' was 7.5 hp @3600, but I believe the 'continuous' rating is probably more meaningful?

Similarly, a 1GM10 is rated 8 hp @3400 (continuous) and 9 hp @ 3600 (maximum).

The "8" for the earlier YS models (YSE8, YSB8, YSM8- horizontal single-cylinder) is a little closer to the actual, but they still used the "one-hour" rating, instead of the continuous one. They are rated 7 hp@3200 (continuous), 8 hp@ 3200 (maximum) in the manual posted onsite here.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

1GM

Post by trapper »

Saga's engine is a 1gm and she is hull #180 commissioned Nov. 1984.
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

Ron Churgin wrote:Very true, overhaul is a word whose meaning lies entirely in the eye of the beholder. If you really overhauled such a simple engine it would be like buying a new one considering what Yanmar replacements cost.
I agree, I got copies of the bills for a recent overhaul on my YSB8 when I bought the boat last summer, and they totalled US$6200. This included the new shaft, cutless bearing and PSS dripless shaft seal, but still, the engine sub-total probably came to $4-5,000.

Even so, it's no guarantee. The exhaust manifold shook loose, the starter only works intermittently, and I spent lots of time tightening and retightening bolts. There's a lot of "shake, rattle and roll" going on in there! One morning, I was lucky to find one of the coupler bolts lying in the engine pan (it was not just loose, but it hadn't been safety-wired either).

I don't mind maintaining the engine, and it's simple, but I think that spending time on it is probably a better way to keep things in shape than spending money - there's always something to check or fix.