waving

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

getting away from distractions

Post by Troy Scott »

Neil,

Yes, I'm the one who would sit in the car to read a book. But it was never because the car was broken. Except for the electronic ignition (which always worked after the warranty fix) my 1976 MG was reasonably reliable. Reading in the car had more to do with my "field dependent" personality. I just have to get away from distractions to get anything accomplished, and it helps to be in a "happy place".
Regards,
Troy Scott
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

:wink: thats right, troy...
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hey...

i loved working on all British Leland Motors like MG's, Jags, Austins and many others in my early 20's to my mid 30's...

most americans like those cars and because they could not fix them,

i did and back then i made between 50,000 to 60,000 part time....

but those years are gone, oh well.....

some sailors like working on cars and boats together.....
winthrop
Dick Villamil

waving

Post by Dick Villamil »

WOW - I thought that I was the only one to survive college and graduate school with a 1952 MGTD! I used to get waves all the time - especially from women until they took a ride in it and caught a bug in their teeth because the windscreen was down! I also get a lot of waves when I' in my Typhoon - many even sail over to ask what king of boat it is. Motor cyclists wave - unless the rider is on a rice burner Kawasaki or Suzuki etc. I think sailors are more prone o wave when they are having a good sail - 10 kts on a close reach and a nice bow wave and bubbling waters running off he aft quarter. By the way - Car Talk's review of the 1952 MGTD is accurate except they forgot to mention that in order to tell when you needed gas - you had to use a dipstick (I kept an old yardstick) - onle I even got $1 worth of gas because the guy pumping gas was admiring the car and forgot that I only asked for 43 cents worth of gas and he put in an extra dollar of gas - so he chalked it up to his error and his experience (the price was 19 cents a gallon at the time). Almost all sports cars in the mid 60s in New Jersey waved to each other. I still wave and get waved back on the back roads in Vermont. Another valuable wave is to be alerted by an oncoming driver that there is a speed trap around the corner!