A thread on thread

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

A thread on thread

Post by Joe Myerson »

Here's a question for all of you who do your own sewing:

In lieu of an expensive Christmas present, my sister, an accomplished seamstress, offered to restore my sail cover. It's a blue Sunbrella cover that's probably original to my 1982 boat. The stitching has deteriorated over the years, the Velcro is coming off and zipper is coming loose.

The major problem is with the thread.

My sister has a commercial-grade machine, so she can sew through Sunbrella. What I want to know is this: which type of UV-resistant thread should I order for her?

If she repairs the cover with UV-resistant thread, presumably I can get another 27 years out of this cover, by which time I'll be 88 and probably won't care.

Thanks,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
David van den Burgh

Re: A thread on thread

Post by David van den Burgh »

Joe Myerson wrote:Here's a question for all of you who do your own sewing:

In lieu of an expensive Christmas present, my sister, an accomplished seamstress, offered to restore my sail cover. It's a blue Sunbrella cover that's probably original to my 1982 boat. The stitching has deteriorated over the years, the Velcro is coming off and zipper is coming loose.

The major problem is with the thread.

My sister has a commercial-grade machine, so she can sew through Sunbrella. What I want to know is this: which type of UV-resistant thread should I order for her?

If she repairs the cover with UV-resistant thread, presumably I can get another 27 years out of this cover, by which time I'll be 88 and probably won't care.

Thanks,

--Joe
Check out Tenara or Profilen thread. Expensive, but durable.
John Martin

Thread

Post by John Martin »

I get my thread from www.sailrite.com

Not only do they have a good product, they have wonderful tech support. If you ever have any question, they can answer it. Check out their web site.

I use their UVR polyester thread. V-69 or V-92, 1 oz. cone (350 yds. or 250 yds.) will cost about $5 or $6. If you are only repairing a mainsail cover, that should be plenty, you won't need much.

The Tenara (Gore-Tex) thread they have listed comes on 1800 yd. spool for $139. It has a lifetime guarantee. To expensive for my taste. I don't think the fabric will last as long as the thread. It also requires some special handling due to the slickness. It requires smaller needles, and softer tension settings.

I don't mind re-stitching my seams, with the polyester thread, whenever they need it.
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
David van den Burgh

Sorry. When I read your post I thought you were specifically after a high-grade thread to be done with restitching. If that's not what you're seeking specifically, I second John's suggestion.

I'll be making new sail covers for Ariel this spring, and plan to use standard bonded polyester thread (V-92).
John Danicic

sailrite

Post by John Danicic »

Ditto for John Martin's advice.

Sailrite is the best.

The VC 69 is strong stuff, You can't break it with your bare hands unless you want thread cuts. I have used it successfully with my 1946 Belina sewing machine on all sorts of projects, from sail bags to riding sails.

It be good stuff.

Using Tenara at that price is so pre Great Recession.

Sail on
John Danicic
CD36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior - The Apostle Islands
CDSOA # 655
Joe Myerson

Thanks everybody

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I would probably order whatever thread I did buy from Sailrite. They have such high recommendations from everybody!

Since posting this, I've spoken to my sister, who says she has worked with Sunbrella before. Her machine is a professional one, but not a sailmaker's.

Anyway, I'll contact Sailrite and ask for their recommendation as to which UV-resistant thread to use.

Thanks again,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

27 years?

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Hard to believe that the cover is that old unless it is only exposed to the sun for 2 months out of the year. My boat is kept on the Chesapeake and this winter I just made my third set of sail covers (the boat is a 1982). All have been Sunbrella. My last set was made with Tenara thread (actually it was the gore pre-tenara variant). The stiching looked like new on the sail cover, but the cloth itself gave up the ghost. You could actually see through it. It ended up tearing rather easily. If you are just going for a re-sew the cover will likely give up the ghost before the stiching goes bad no matter what thread you use.

Matt.
Joe Myerson

Maybe I'm wrong about the age

Post by Joe Myerson »

Matt:

You could well be right about the age of the sail cover--after all, the original owner of the boat seems to have kept her on the Gulf Coast, at least for a while.

But it is still an old cover that came with the boat. And the stitching has disintegrated, but the cloth seems to be holding.

The PO worked at a boatyard, and he seems to have picked up lots of miscellaneous stuff from other boats. The cover isn't a perfect fit, but it works. And, after my sister's restitching, it will work for a while longer. (OK, probably not another 27 years -- six years will do fine.)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I reckon V-69 is what you want and I recommend Sailrite to get it. I sewed up a main with two reefs and a jib for my old Typhoon with there kits including V-69 and they are both still going strong as my friend now has the boat. That was ten years ago. For our 33 I have re-stitched both the wheel cover and mainsail cover which are both easily 25 years old. Also sewed 35 feet of the genny leech when a nasty 45 knot passage blew it out. The V-69 worked well after I figured out the 60 year old sewing machine and I am happy with the results. Keep 'em going as long as possible I say.

A regular 16 needle should work with V-69 fine but she may need to just work a little longer at getting the thread tension right. Then away you go.

All the best,
Paul
Maine Sail

My preference

Post by Maine Sail »

My preference is V-92. Most pro canvas guys use it or Tenara these days. I have notr used anything but V-92 on Sunbrella for a long time....

One reason I like 92 over 69 is that it handles better in a commercial machine and when punching through multiple layers tends to not break nearly often as 69..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
David van den Burgh

Re: My preference

Maine Sail wrote:My preference is V-92. Most pro canvas guys use it or Tenara these days. I have notr used anything but V-92 on Sunbrella for a long time....

One reason I like 92 over 69 is that it handles better in a commercial machine and when punching through multiple layers tends to not break nearly often as 69..
And that strength translates to greater chafe resistance as well, the most likely cause of thread failure.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Thread Brand

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
Many sailmakers mention in their brochures that they use Heminway and Bartlett thread in their sails. It's a well respected brand. Sailrite used to supply Heminway & Bartlett thread when you ordered thread from them, but I was disappointed to receive a non branded "mystery" thread from them the last time I ordered. Probably a Chinese imitation.
You can get the real thing from Sailmaker's Supply:
http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/31
Regards,
Tony Jeske