On boats too?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SurryMark

On boats too?

Post by SurryMark »

OK, here goes.

I was asked by a pal who came to see my new boat, whether women on boats are afraid of falling into the head if the seat is left up.

I said I don't really know, because this is the first boat I've owned with more than a bucket, and besides I don't use the head for functions that require the seat to be up.

"But wait!" I said. "I know who to ask!"
Last edited by SurryMark on Mar 10th, '09, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
rtbates

a word to the wise

Post by rtbates »

Unless you enjoy cleaning up piss, make everyone SIT while doing their head business. It's so much easier than hanging on with one hand while the other is trying to direct. And a whole lot more accurate..
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Russell

Post by Russell »

Real sailors sit when peeing.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

Because I have a porta pottie, only women are allowed to use the comode for number one. Men are restricted to a bucket or over the rail.
Carl Thunberg

Very Dangerous

Post by Carl Thunberg »

This topic comes up every so often. Yes, we've all gone over the rail (I certainly have), but it's a really bad practice, especially when you're under way. It puts you in a very vulnerable position for no good reason, when it can be avoided so easily. Use the head or a bucket. You really don't want to end up like this guy. You may not live to regret it.

http://tinyurl.com/Article-about-the-head

P.S. Sorry for the W I D E screen post. The URL for this story is really long.

Fixed it for you Carl - Thanks Bob or Bill
Last edited by Carl Thunberg on Mar 13th, '09, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Big E
Salem, MA

Post by Big E »

Correction... I never meant to imply that over the rail is acceptable underway. I usually don't allow guests on the deck for any reason while underway unless they are experienced, (and sober.). That being said, while at anchor, over the rail is acceptable. (unless the Coasties are around)
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Big E wrote:Because I have a porta pottie, only women are allowed to use the comode for number one. Men are restricted to a bucket or over the rail.
Gatorade bottles serve males well in this capacity, especially if you are on station at the helm and can't leave your post. You can recap it and deal with it later. Just be sure to mark it or take the label off, so you can distinguish it from the one you are drinking from.
Chris L
Harbor Beach, MI

Post by Chris L »

Bill Goldsmith wrote:
Big E wrote:Because I have a porta pottie, only women are allowed to use the comode for number one. Men are restricted to a bucket or over the rail.
Gatorade bottles serve males well in this capacity, especially if you are on station at the helm and can't leave your post. You can recap it and deal with it later. Just be sure to mark it or take the label off, so you can distinguish it from the one you are drinking from.
We have found that a designated yellow cup (disposable plastic or whatever) works well. There are multiple boats in our marina that will have a yellow cup on board, but just make sure not to use it for your rum and coke! Chris
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Forgotten Statistic

Post by SeaBelle »

Years ago I heard the statistic. X% of drowned boaters has their flies open. I don't remember the value of X but it was very large, on the order of 80%.

I also have a thing about going barefoot on deck. While it may seem salty, I believe that if you stub your toe the reaction is automatic and may put you overboard. Remember when the sails were square and there were 'boats of wood and men of steel' and the crew went barefoot, life was cheap.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

i all was told the kids go for a swim,

the ladys can use the head,

the men can go for a swim or sit.

it says above the head "make a mess you clean it up".
winthrop
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Micturation afloat

Post by Carter Brey »

Bill Goldsmith wrote:
I keep one of these on board, and use it while (literally) singlehanding, in the cockpit, sitting. There's no mistaking it for a drinking cup.

[img]http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/littlejohn.jpg[/img]
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

The heck with going over the rail. When you add a sunbrella cushion to the back of one of these, they are great while sitting at the helm:

Seajunkie
Steve Laume

Re: Micturation afloat

Post by Steve Laume »

I keep one of these on board, and use it while (literally) singlehanding, in the cockpit, sitting. There's no mistaking it for a drinking cup.

[img]http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/littlejohn.jpg[/img][/quote]

Whoa, are tryin to say that thing is not a spill proof drink holder?! I got one of them with my Typhoon and it has been great except for the fact that my beer doesn't stay cold in it and I can't find a cozy that will fit the thing, Steve.
rtbates

and for women

Post by rtbates »

For any ladies out there who might want to pee over the side like a man we have http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/around_to ... rder=&pg=1
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

I use one of these

Post by Roy J. »

With the little bit of detergent that remains after the bottle is effectively empty, this works like charm and you get a little deodorizing action. Noone confuses it with either Gatorade or rum 'n coke either. I suppose it could be a problem on a shoreside laundry stop, but.......

And with Randy's gizmo, even the ladies could use it!
Roy Jacobowitz