sail question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Javor

sail question

Post by Tom Javor »

has anyone purchased a mainsail for a 25D in recent years? And, if I can be so bold as to ask, what was the ballpark price?

thanks
TJ
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I just got a $1,350.00 quotation for a new loose footed main for my CD25 from Ullman sails here in Sarasota. I believe the sails are very similar in area.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Mainsail Ballpark Price

Post by Oswego John »

Tom,

I have never bought them but I have read others on this board mention that they got good deals on used sails from various vendors.

Sorry, I have no names or contact info for them. Perhaps other readers can chime in.

FWIW,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Post by sealark »

Not for a 25 - but I just recently purchased a used main from Bacon Sails - somewhere up north - found them on the internet - for my CD 28. The sail was in very good condition and is the exact same size as the original. The total with Tax and Delivery was around $374.
Tom Javor

pricing

Post by Tom Javor »

quick quotes fro a few lofts are in they range from 350 for used with new running 975 to 1300.
TJ
MFC
Hull No.128

Post by MFC »

You can price FX sails online here:

http://www.fxsails.com/quoter/selectsai ... oatID=5236

Looks like a dacron main with no frills is about 800 and goes up with options (full batten, # of reefs etc).

Matt
tartansailor

New Sails

Post by tartansailor »

With so much capital invested in your boat, and the real chance of
buying a used sail that has been blown out, I just can not see the merit of buying used. The differential between new and used,
compared to the real improvement in speed and pointing, not to mention life of the sail, just makes sense to buy new.

Another benefit of buying new is the joy of working with your sail maker who will custom cut your sail for the preponderance of wind in your area.

A sail for the Chesapeake in the summer is definitely not appropriate for the New England coast.

A CD-25 can take a good size leach; also you want at least 2 reef points, and a Cunningham; not so common in used.
If single handing a lot, perhaps you would like to have a Dutchman.

Give new some thought, IMHO.

Dick
Amgine

In the process

Post by Amgine »

My sailmaker is in the process of finishing up a new set of sails for my CD 25D. The price for the main with full length tapered battens and cars, 3 reefs, cunningham, enlarged patches, came to $1765 Canadian, about $1400 US dollars. I believe a traditional batten version would have come in about $1250 Canadian, $980 USD.
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

New Sails

Post by Sea Owl »

Tom;

You CAN on rare occasion get a good deal in used sails. I spent the price of a new mainsail (around 1400 depending on how it is set up) and for my CD25 got a nearly new main, two Hank On Jibs, the sheets, a brand new sail cover for the main, a winch handle that fits the original winches, and about 50' of additional line, plus sail bags to put it all in. This was from a board member who had them, and no longer had the boat.

I think I was pretty lucky to get that much sail for what I spent - the real questions for me in your situation would be;

a) How much pain am I willing to bear for a better/new mainsail?

b) How long am I going to have this boat?

c) If I go for a new main, what shape is/are your jib(s) in when will THEY need replaced?

If the answer to b is "longer than two years", and c is "not this year", and you can pony up in the neighborhood of $1500 - 1700 (don't forget taxes!), then I would go new. Variations in the answers might cause me to think "look for a good deal in used".

I am sure you can/have come up with your own list of decision points, but these are ones I have wrestled with personally.

I would think there should be some good condition CD25 sails available in the Katrina area if any CD25's got trashed and owners are left with accoutrement's, and no viable boat. Hard part may be finding them!

Good luck and fair winds!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Prices seem right

Post by Joe Myerson »

Tom:

I had a new, traditional-batten mainsail made for my 25D at a local loft. I spent around $1,200, and that was three years ago. So, I guess the prices others have quoted is about right.

Get a new sail if you possibly can (perhaps you're still working, or you were smart enough to get out of the market). The new sail made a tremendous difference in performance. The new genny, which I got the next season, made a big difference, too.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627