CD SF Bay Sailing - What size furling genoa?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard G.

Post by Richard G. »

Wondering what size roller furling Genoa most CD Sailors in SF Bay have on their vessels.
Doug Gibson
'87 CD36 #147
SF Bay, CA

Post by Doug Gibson »

Hi Richard -

I sail with the stock Yankee and Staysail on my 36 and its pretty well matched to normal blustery summer conditions on the bay. When its really blowing hard, I roll up the jib and reef the main for good balance and control. I do have an asym I hoist for light conditions in the fall or winter (or when outside the gate during summer).

On my previous boat (not a CD), I had a 120 roller furling jib that I could effectively reef down to about a 90. I believe this is a pretty common range for normal recreational sailing on the bay. The largest general usage roller jib you'll find is maybe 135. Above that size, you would need to have multiple sails and be prepared to do sail changes throughout the day or in different locations within the bay. Practically, I don't think you can really reef a furling jib from 135 down to 90 and still have any reasonable sail shape.
Doug Gibson