rudder pin question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Hud Smith

rudder pin question

Post by Hud Smith »

On our 30 ketch the pin that attaches the bottom of the rudder to the bottom of the keel is loose. It is not attached to the rudder or the keel fitting, and will rotate without moving the rudder. I have checked some other CDs in our yard and some have pins that move easily ( not attached) and some that don't move at all.
I've looked at the drawings in the manuals, but can't tell how the pin was originally set in the fittings.
Any ideas on this ?

Thanks,
Hud Smith
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

Arianna will be coming out of the water later today. I'll look at her rudder and see. I think she may have a worn rudder shoe or pin and may need some work. I'll let you know what we find.

Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

The pin on Arianna looks like it's set in the rudder shoe and moves in the rudder. I have never seen this on any boat before but I see no reason to change it. The rudder moves smoothly and has no excess play in it. It looks like the rudder may have a bushing glassed in that the pin is running in but I can't tell without removing the rudder. I know this is not the way it was made but it looks like a nice professional installation and I'm going to leave it the way it is.

Hud Smith

rudder pin

Post by Hud Smith »

Thanks Mark, I'll take a closer look at the shoe for signs it was attached in the past.
Thanks again,
Hud
ckreitlein

Rudder Pin

Post by ckreitlein »

I have a CD 30 Cutter, MISS MARLEY. After I bought the boat, I had to remove the rudder and replace the pin you are talking about, because it had rusted/broken in half.

The rudder SHOULD sit and rotate on/with the pin - it is 1" stainless steel. The pin, for its part, sits in and rotates in the gudgeon on the keel. If your pin rotates freely without the rudder turning, I think you might have a problem. At least in my boat, the entire weight of the rudder rests on that pin.

In my situation, my rudder, because the pin was broken and the rudder was bent to starboard about 5 degrees, was not sitting on either the pin or the gudgeon. In fact, it was sitting and wearing out the brass key that holds the steering quadrant in place. The brass key fits into a slot in the rudder shaft, with about 3/8ths inch sticking out and provides the "grip" for the steering quadrant. My rudder and shaft has slipped down just enough that its entire weight was resting on the brass key that was, itself, resting and turning on the rudder tube stuffing box. The bottom of the key had worn badly from rubbing on the top of the stuffing box nut. Fortunately, it kept my rudder from falling out!

You might want to climb down into your cockpit locker and take a good look at things and make sure everything is as it should be.

best regards, Chris Kreitlein
MISS MARLEY
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

recent pin replacement

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Here is the replacement of the pin on my CD36

http://www.cawthorne.org/Rudder.html
Hud Smith

hey Matt

Post by Hud Smith »

That is a beautiful job. Thanks for all the info from everybody