Mainsail handling - Jiffy Jax

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard Cashore

Mainsail handling - Jiffy Jax

Post by Richard Cashore »

Does anyone have experience with the Jiffy Jax, like Lazy Jacks, mainsail handling system?

Richard
Richard Cashore
Williamsburg, VA
rcashore@cox.net
John Martin

Lazy Jacks

Post by John Martin »

We use the same lazy jack design on our CD31. I made the lazy jacks from parts on hand. I did not use a Kit. When the sail is down, the lazy jacks are pulled up next to the mast, and the sail and boom are covered. When we uncover the sail, we deploy the lazy jacks, untie sail ties, hoist the sail. It's been working fine for years.

JM
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Mainsail handling - Jiffy Jax

Post by Carter Brey »

RC wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Jiffy Jax, like Lazy Jacks, mainsail handling system?

Richard
I installed this system on my Sabre 28 three years ago:

http://www.slowflight.net/upgrades/lazy ... ow-to.html

It works beautifully. It cost me about four hours of labor and $85 for parts. I can't imagine singlehanding without it.

[img]http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/DCP03374.JPG[/img]
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Jiffy Jax

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi :
I have Jiffy Jax on my CD-28. I especially like the fact that they are pulled to the mast when not in use. No windage, slapping, abrasion on the sail, etc. Also no modification or replacement of the sail cover is needed, that sold it for me. Or backstay, for that matter.
A neat package, well made at a fair price. I would reccommend highly.
Fair Winds,
Tony
Kemah

Jiffy Jax

Post by Kemah »

I installed Jiffy Jax last season. I'm completely satisfied with design, quality of materials, ease of use. Please see detailed comments in my post last year in response to NewSailor's Lazy Jacks post (search for "Jiffy Jax").