Cape Dory Typhoon Hull #9 -- lost rudder

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SusanQ
Chebegue Island, ME

Post by SusanQ »

Tomorrow my little island is hosting a Polar Bear Plunge as a fundraiser, to be held at the boatyard, where the rudder disappeared. Maybe I could pay one or two of the kids to stay in a few minutes longer and look for the rudder, offering a big reward to the lucky one who finds it..........
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

How deep is the water, in the search area?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

If you think the rudder may have sank and its not too deep, what about probing around with a long boat hook, pipe, or other long straight length of something? If deeper, what about dragging a grappling hook?
In six feet of water, I did retrieve another's boathook, that they dropped overboard. I knew the six by ten foot area, so it was not that difficult.
SusanQ
Chebegue Island, ME

Post by SusanQ »

Thanks. I think the yard did drag the area where they thought the rudder might have been. But I can always try that once the punt is back in the water.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Sea Hunt, I never said it was too cold to dive in Maine. It is just that the locals usually don't swim in the ocean once they reach puberty.

I like the diving for dollars idea. Kids of an age that would be willing and might be successful are very food motivated. A pizza fest for a successful treasure hunt should keep the little scuppers flailing around till their lips turn blue. Expect some cases of advanced hypothermia and don't get too hopeful about them actually finding your rudder. It sure could be fun though.

A generous fistful of quarters tossed in the area you expect to find the rudder might motivate them a bit more.

If you were closer, I'd dive for beer change and the possibility of pizza, Steve.