Fuel Line Shut Off Valve

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

Fuel Line Shut Off Valve

Post by gates_cliff »

One of the items in the survey I had done was that there needs to be a shut off valve in the fuel line. I looked on Jamestown Distributors site and found a valve but I'm not familiar with the requirement for this. Can anyone shed some light? Or should I have something done professionally?

Once I had the tank out, it had maybe 3 gallons of fuel in it. I poured it into a gerry (is that the correct spelling?) can and once empty boy could I see the mess on the bottom of the tank. The surveyor also suggested I get the tank check since there is potential for corrosion. There doesn't appear to be any, but to be on the safe side I plan to have it checked anyway and see if I can get it cleaned out. by the way, anyone know of a tank shop in the Annapolis, Norhtern VA area?

Thanks
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

tank shop

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Most radiator shops can help you
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Do a Google on "fuel polishing" + Annapolis There are several places that can clean and test the tank on board.

If it is practical to remove it and take it home you can start with hot soapy water and then a power washer to get the crud out. It ain't fun, but doing it at home will save you several boat units and expand your vocabulary. Then as has been suggested a radiator shop can pressure test it.

For the valve, it will be either 1/4 or 3/8 inch and can be bought at Home Despot. Just a simple ball, or gate valve. It does not have to be marine grade as it will not be used with sea water and diesel will protect against corrosion. If you put it on the tank get one that will thread into the connection on the tank with a hose barb for the fuel line. If the top of the tank isn't easy to get to put it in the hose as close to the tank as possible by cutting the hose and using one with two hose barbs. The tank is the preferred location, but not always practical.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei