Port St. Lucie

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lee Kaufman

Port St. Lucie

Post by Lee Kaufman »

I am looking at the Port St. Lucie area for relocation. Is there anyone on the board that would be able to share some local knowledge about the area? I am particularly interested in areas to investigate and areas to avoid. What about boating in the area? What is the public beach access situation?
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering, "What the
hell happened?"
Larry McAnally

Port Saint Lucie

Post by Larry McAnally »

Lee,
I don't have any specific info on living in or accessing the beaches in the area but I know the ICWW through there is very nice. Especially north where it isn't so populated. Also the access to Lake Okechobee and the Atlantic/Gulf and all of Florida would be attractive. Beach access is in general an issue in all of Florida but should be less of an issue there. Good luck and great sailing!
Larry
Destin Fl.
Boyd

Port St. Lucie

Post by Boyd »

My daughter lives up there and I have passed through the area on my way across the Lake a couple of times. Here are my general observations.

The employment prospects are quite poor as most of the industry was centered around construction which is currently pretty well shut down. Housing is very cheap due to the significant number of foreclosed properties. House sale prices are roughly half as compared to two years ago.

Since they flushed out the Lake a couple of years ago the passages from the ICW to the Lake are sevearly shoaled up with lake mud. I ran aground twice during my latest trip to the lake right in mid channel. In a CD25 you should have less trouble with a 3' draft.

The inlet is pretty scarry looking on the chart and local knowledge is recommended as the shoals seem to shift a lot. I suggest having a local powerboater show you the way a time or two. I have never attempted going through it.

In a CD25 sailing opportunities are quite nice in the St. Lucie river between the ICW and the bridges inland. Also you can motor to the lake and spend considerable time there. The bottom is very flat with few hazards. Its also very nice to motor over to the west coast through the Callooshatchee. Dont do it in summer unless you have really good bug screens.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
j2sailor

Port St Lucie and Inlet

Post by j2sailor »

I lived in PSL for a few months. Not bad. Cheap if you rent. I know nothing about the job market. Service industry--low pay, long hours--predominates in Florida. I write full time now, so I'm self employed.

I was head of the Seamanship department in the Professional Mariner program at Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart for two years. Taught on a fleet of 17 power and sailing vessels.

Shallow area, and it shoals quickly when the storms come. Not a lot of tidal range, but it drys out during spring tides. Have good ground tackle because you will find some bottoms foul or soft mud.

Don't attempt the inlet without local knowledge. It can be very rough on the ebb. The northers tend to push the sand and silt to the south. Keep an eye on the local notices to mariners for latest conditions and warnings.

The St. Lucie River area near Stuart is nice for sailing. Your sailing will be limited with the narrow channels. I liked the challenge but not a lot of room.

Best - J