Modifications for the "aging sailor"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Re: Crew

Post by M. R. Bober »

barfwinkle wrote:
Bill,
There is (IMHO) a logical sequence that is usually followed: Self-tailing winches, roller furling sails, windlass, TRAWLER.
Mitchell, where would a capable, bikini clad, all female crew (or male to be politically correct, skippers choice) fall into this sequence :?: :oops:
Either way before or way after my current position. :D

To those who feel that they have lost nothing in 2 or 3 decades, I salute you. As for me, I use a magnifier (to augment my bifocals) when reading charts, winches for what I could once "hand over hand," and the volume on the radio is up a bit from the olden days. I use more sunscreen than I used to as I have more skin--especially on my head--to cover.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where you are only as old as I think you are.) VA
:wink:
CDSOA Founding Member
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I'm 61 but the oldest I ever was when sailing was 60. I'll let you know in a few months if the extra year makes a difference.

I haven't made any serious modifications to the boat. There's roller furling but nothing else comes back to the cockpit. The winches are original non self tailing. I have an autopilot.

Mostly I've found that better planning and patience makes life easier. Learning to heave to (and remembering to do it) helps. So does reefing early and keeping the rail out of the water.

Staying in reasonable condition helps a lot and I like the idea of balance exercises. Anchor retrieval is still easy enough (22 lb + 30ft of chain). Wrestling with the main at the end of the day is still okay. Etc.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jerryaxler

Modifications

Post by jerryaxler »

Now that we are admitting to ages, I am 67 and not the fittest.. The anchor windlass with an all chain rode allows me to sleep better and reset the anchor without any exertion at all. The big change for me has been the use of jacklines and the wearing of a PFD more often. My agility and balance has definitely deteriorated, but not to the extent that I am willing to give up coastal sailing. In addition, my biggest problem has been getting into those ridiculous positions to repair some part that was placed in such a way as to potentiate Murphy's Laws.
While I'm at it why would you put a dipstick that is to be checked daily in the back of the engine? Heads that have difficult hose runs and steering cable brackets out of reach in the pedestal.
You can add to the list if you wish.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

Modifications

Post by Michael Heintz »

55 years old here and like Warren feeling great! As you age you work on keeping your body in good shape and strong!!!!!!

Aside from modifications to the body, the best thing I did two years ago is to instal a windless. Being mostly a solo sailer and cruising a fair amount, this has been a wonderful addition. It is especially helpful in a crowded ancorage with the wind blowin. The usual fire drill of getting the anchor up and not drifting down on the boat behind you is not a non stressful situation!!!
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

A bit more careful

Post by Joe Myerson »

I'm 61 and try to exercise regularly.

That said, I do find that the joints in my hands and shoulders often hurt after a day of solo sailing. Following the suggestions on Mike's Shorthanded Sailing group on Yahoo, I intend to keep a good supply of ibuprophen (and lots of drinking water) on board next season.

My winches are not self-tailing--I've got Winchers on them, and they do help a bit.

The most significant modifications that I've noticed with age is that I just don't sail the way I used to in my 20s (or even my 50s):

I reef my main earlier than before. On Buzzards Bay that usually means tucking in a reef shortly after noon, when the sou'wester starts to pick up. A neighbor, who sails a 27, keeps one reef in his main most of the time, shaking it out only if the winds are very light. I haven't reached that point yet, but wouldn't be surprised if I started doing so.

Last season I got a tiller pilot (Raymarine ST-2000), and I find that it helps a lot. I don't use it under sail very often, but I do use it when raising and lowering the sail.

I've got a tether and jacklines, but have yet to mount those folding pad eyes in the cockpit. Maybe I'll do that this spring.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
paul marti

possiible upgrade

Post by paul marti »

Still working on the mechanics of this upgrade, but the gist of the idea is this: a catapult type device that upon demand (think the clapper) launches a cold beer into my right hand as I sit watching the autopilot steer from my heated bean bag position in the cockpit. I'm thinking that would save endless wear and tear on my knees over a typical season. I'll have to make sure the sound recognition component clearly recognizes only my distinct clap, hate to get blindsided by a Bud during a thunderstorm. I've pitched the idea to West, but their people will have to talk to my people to work out some issues.
In the meantime enjoy each new birthday, it beats the option.
Take care to all and a hello to Mike, hope you are well. Paul
tartansailor

How Old is Old

Post by tartansailor »

I'm 73, still working part time in pharmaceutical R&D
(after a life time in plastics)
just to keep from going senile, and to have a few pennies
to blow on my hobbies.
To be honest, it's honey-do avoidance.
Any one else in their 70's?
Dick
Last edited by tartansailor on Jan 31st, '09, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

winthrop fisher wrote: ... how old is old ???? i am 51 and i can still do ever thing i did when i was 25 ...
I suspect I'm still capable of anything I'll be able to do when I'm older. I'd just like the opportunity to prove it.
mike ritenour

Catapult

Post by mike ritenour »

Now Paul,

I thought we had perfected the beer catapult into your right hand with the 44' catapult, lined up off your port beam. :wink:

Rit
Last edited by mike ritenour on Jan 31st, '09, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
J D

Post by J D »

Hey Dick, I've been thinking I was 68 But when I do the math I'll be 70 in November. Still mostly feel like a kid but maybe I am childish and have a dim memory of kid times. I will admit I was a little stove up after I was up the mast to change out my topping lift.

Sure not planing on moving up from my 27. I have a membership in our local recreation center and hope to stay in shape.

John
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Yet another good thing about this board. You guys make me feel young
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Anging sailors - A/K/A Sailing Grunt

Post by Shipscarver »

Well Kids, I'm pushing 68. I've had 4 heart surgerys (2 open), a total hip replacement, a shoulder rebuilt, a hernia repair, and now spinal stenosis, and hospitalization for, "pain management," all in the last 5 years. But, NOBODY STANDS BETWEEN ME AND MY BELOVED, "SOUL MATE." It took me years to find her and win her, and the only way they they seperate us is as a, "DMOB." So, I want to know any way to make my life better aboard. I'm one of those, "Grunts," who say, "If I die on the hard, I die unhappy.!"
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

A short article in the February Cruising World - 80 year old guy just bought a brand new Hunter, wants to sail to all the ports named Portland. I don't think he spends a lot of time wondering if he's too old.

I'd pick warmer destinations, though.

Sail on!
Forrest Paddock
Houston, TX
Supporting this site through membership in the CDSOA, Inc. Member 420
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Aging Sailor

Post by Shipscarver »

However, I should add to my prior remarks, we probably need Emoticons that indicate levels of, tongue in cheek. :wink:
Shipscarver
Sailing the Florida Gulf
Dixon Hemphill

Sailing and getting old

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

It's been a while since the last message but when I saw someone asked, "How old are you?" I decided to put in my two cents.

I am 84 and sail solo quite often. BUT I am careful. I have all my lines back to the cockpit on my CD 28 and almost NEVER go up on deck while out on the water --- except of course when anchored. I have a 150 Genoa and thankfully it works great. I motor more than I want to but only because the wind around the Chesapeake where I sail often blows from the wrong direction. And I do wear my life jacket.

I do go out with fellow sailors, when they can get away from work, and with my wife who's always available. She likes it best when we motor or sail with little wind because a sailboat heeled even a little bit is not her favorite way to spend the day on the water.

These days I watch the Annapolis 10 day weather forecasts regularly and look forward to that day when the temp says high 55 and low 40 ---that's the day I'll jump in the car and drive the 60 miles to Whitehall Marina where the VASA sits.
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.