Beans

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

lubeckmaine

Beans

Post by lubeckmaine »

Where am I gonna put 4 cases of beans on Diapensia. I know low, but where low? I've got a list to port, which I attribute to water and a full fuel tank. What now? Jimmy
Paul D.

Worst food to eat aboard...

Post by Paul D. »

My brother eats a lot of beans. And he owns a 36. Maybe he could chime in here? Ah wait a minute, usually by the time I see him he's ate a lot of beans, and that's another story perhaps not suitable for the board. Unless we put it this way,

"What is the absolute, most non-arguable, WORST food to eat while aboard?"

I'd stick those beans under the berths and in the bilge if possible. And may God save your crew!

Paul
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Worst food to eat aboard...

Post by Oswego John »

Paul D. wrote: "What is the absolute, most non-arguable, WORST food to eat while aboard?"Paul

For me, without the slightest bit of doubt, *LIVER*

Yecch,
O J
PS: It has been said that beans are good for the heart. :D
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
wingreen

worst? that's easy...

Post by wingreen »

anything healthy!
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Spare Parts And Meat
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

beans

Post by henry hey »

Beans are fine for a solo cruise.

In company. . . hmm
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Spare Parts And Meat
Over the Christmas Holiday I had an opportunity to have myself a tasty SPAM sandwich. The Admiral was TOTALLY DISGUSTED. It was great and although I hadnt eaten one in probably 30 years, it brought back many fond childhood memories as my dad loved the stuff.

Fair winds and I agree with Henry H.
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Paul D. wrote:"What is the absolute, most non-arguable, WORST food to eat while aboard?"
For underway food while on watch, I like what I can hold in one hand and munch with sailing gloves on.

For some reason, guests seem to think that lettuce salads and similar things that blow overboard if the wind is more than 1 kt are good to bring.

I don't otherwise distinguish between what's "worst" on land or sea. For on board use, I just like what stores well and keeps well.

(Note: 1 lb of linguine takes lots less space than 1 lb of ziti.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

Crow
jerryaxler

beans

Post by jerryaxler »

I save beans for the times I'm becalmed, as an emergency wind generator.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
mahalocd36

Spam Sushi Anyone?

Post by mahalocd36 »

Ok I like Spam & eggs, Melissa not so much. It seems soon to be President Obama is a Spam fan also! I haven't made Spam sushi yet but Melissa be warned...

P.S. Nemo likes it!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/2 ... 52854.html

barfwinkle wrote:
Over the Christmas Holiday I had an opportunity to have myself a tasty SPAM sandwich. ...
Rich
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

paint the cans and put them in the bilge.... :wink: winthrop
wingreen

hmm, spam sushi?

Post by wingreen »

I suppose the best thing about spam sushi might be that you can leave it out in the hot sun for days and it won't spoil like real sushi.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Don't need 4 cases....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

lubeckmaine wrote:Where am I gonna put 4 cases of beans on Diapensia. I know low, but where low? I've got a list to port, which I attribute to water and a full fuel tank. What now? Jimmy
You don't need 4 cases of beans, not even 1! You can reprovision and get fresh stuff while in the islands.
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

Paul D. wrote:My brother eats a lot of beans. And he owns a 36. Maybe he could chime in here? Ah wait a minute, usually by the time I see him he's ate a lot of beans, and that's another story perhaps not suitable for the board. Unless we put it this way,

"What is the absolute, most non-arguable, WORST food to eat while aboard?"

I'd stick those beans under the berths and in the bilge if possible. And may God save your crew!

Paul
People in glass houses should not throw stones. I wish to state before the board and the whole world, that I do not eat beans while under way. Those that do are a danger to themselves, their loved ones and the security of the country they live in. Then there is that global warming thing.

The worst food to eat while under way with-out a doubt would be that which the very sight of, whiff of or thought of causes one's tummy to recede into a very small space and then struggle like mad to break out. This is an individual and personal Jonah that we all must suffer to identify.

Suffer on

John Danicic
CD36 Mariah #124
Lake Superior