How cold is it Johnny?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wingreen

80? OJ?

Post by wingreen »

You're 80, OJ? You write much younger than your years, my friend. I suppose sailing really does keep a man's heart young.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Re: 80? OJ?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

wingreen wrote:You're 80, OJ? You write much younger than your years, my friend. I suppose sailing really does keep a man's heart young.
And the lively conversation on this Board.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Judging by the remarks (some of which are unprintable in a family website :wink: ), few if any have any sense of sympathy, kinship or compassion for those of use in South Florida who are experiencing a winter freeze that could set records. I think you northern brothers and sisters forget that once you move to Florida your blood thins out and you are less able to withstand freezing or near freezing temps. This is a little known medical fact.

The temp tomorrow night is projected at 38 degrees :!: With cloud cover and 15-20 kts winds, the temp will feel like 34-36 degrees :!:

Wed. night the temps are projected at 36 degrees :!: This is not a typo. Because of the lack of cloud cover and 15-20 kts winds, the temps will feel like 30-32 degrees :!: :!: That is bone chilling cold.

Least anyone doubt the veracity of these projected temps go to:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/3 ... undeclared

While they may change a little over the next 24-48 hours, this is what they project as of 2210 hours on Monday, 19 January 2009.

I hope to get out on the water Wednesday afternoon. My plan is to wear my scuba diving drysuit, watch cap, and heavy gloves. I am hoping I will not have to scrap ice off the deck of S/V Tadpole.

How cold is it :?: It is so cold I may use my newly acquired heat gun to keep my hands warm instead of trying to continue to bend the teak toe rail, which, so far by my calculations I have been able to bend approximately 0.01 cm :!: I have a long way to go :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I'm most jealous of those of you with tons of snow. We don't get enough here in the Philly area. My favorite winters are the ones with constant snow on the ground. We have a couple of inches now but I'd like more. I even enjoy driving in the snow especially at night with it coming down. Maybe I'm nuts but it really makes you appreciate a blazing fireplace. Shoveling at night with a beer held in a snow mound, nice, quiet, peaceful.

It's often 7-8 months between when the boat gets hauled and the launch the following spring but there are other diversions in the interim. The long wait makes the first trip special every spring.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
BillyO

How cold was it

Post by BillyO »

We were minus 24 F last week here in Concord, NH.
That said, we always see close to that sometime during Winter.
That morning in Errol, NH the temp was minus 43.
Sailing slows down around here in January.