swim ladder for CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ocean31

swim ladder for CD 25

Post by ocean31 »

Looking for input on best swim ladder/configuration for a Cape Dory 25. What style are you using, what do you like/dislike about your installation?

Also still looking for a usable mainsail for a 25. The one on my boat is softer then a babys blanket. So if you have ever replaced yours, maybe your old one is still usable.

Thanks for any input

JSB
tartansailor

What Works for Me

Post by tartansailor »

I fashioned a rope ladder as described in
The Marlinspike Sailor by Hervey G. Smith.
It rests on top of the gunwale within easy reach by a swimmer.

With respect to sails, it makes such a significant improvement in performance, that a new well designed one with a tight weave American cloth would be my only recommendation.
Dick
mgphl52

I agree with Dick

Post by mgphl52 »

My prior CD25 was the first Cape Dory that I was able to replace all sails on at one time. The performance difference was nothing short of outstanding!
The three sails were:
  • 135% hank on jib
  • 155% hank on genoa
  • main sail with (ahem) full-battens and (ahem) loose-foot and two reefs
Brigitta then went from last to first in our local races and also was much more fun just to sail.

On KAYLA, we replaced the main sail first and then later changed from a 145% genoa to a 135% (on a Pro Furl furler).
And, Yes! She also has full-battens and a loose-foot.

-michael & Toni (who free-wheel as well...)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

4 step SS folding ladder portside mount

Post by Roy J. »

Auburn came with a 4-step stainless steel folding swim ladder that fits well all the way aft in either cockpit locker. It looks basically like this one from, with mounting brackets like this one, that i can't post the image of:

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog ... /index.asp

which is fixed to the portside deck just inboard of the toe rail, forward of the winch, which I also can't post the image of, but hope the link works:

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog ... sp?id=8395

This set up work well for us, both for swimming and boarding a dinghy. It could also enable a conscious COB to reboard. it is easy to deploy, and doesn't take up much useable space in the locker.

Roy
Roy Jacobowitz
barfwinkle

Same aboard Rhapsody

Post by barfwinkle »

I use the same set up as Roy J aboard Rhapsody. If I ever get around to mounting the additional deck hardware (Roys 2nd link) I'll have the ability to place the ladder on either side. I really like the idea of NOT having to climb over the stearn rail.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

a really simple answer

Post by henry hey »

Do you want the swim ladder primarily for safety? (so that you can get back aboard should you fall over)

One of the previous owners of my CD25 did something very very smart.

They mounted a single fold-up step on the transom of the boat.

It is perfectly positioned so that you can - with a little stretch, get your foot up to it from the water.

From there, you can stand up enough to be positioned to come up over the stern pulpit.

Without it, I have no idea how I would get aboard.

The great thing about this design is that you never have to remember to put the swim ladder down before you go into the water, and that it stows nicely out of the way. You hardly even see it.

You can see it Here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/heyness/477908521/

-henry
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Swim Ladder and Mainsail

Post by Sea Owl »

JSB;

I may have a mainsail for you. Have to measure it - would make you an excellent deal if it fits. Will PM you measurements later this week.

As to swim ladder, I read somewhere that mounting it in the middle of the boat on either side is smart, as the boat ends tend to go up and down much more that the middle of the boat, making getting on much easier in the middle. As I've thought about it, it makes sense to me. I have the mounting brackets for a swim ladder located the same place and side as Roy J writes about, and where I intend to put mine.

Being old and heavy, I would use a longer ladder as I don't really do well trying to heave up a shorter ladder anymore. If you are young and thin, I will hate you :wink: (not really!) but a shorter one would probably work for you. I have seen a transom mounted ladder on a CD25, and it doesn't look bad - but I have always wondered how well the braces hold up with the transom slanting so severely away from the ladder. I have seen on other boats the braces that hold the lower part of the ladder bend if there is not a relatively vertical place for the braces to rest.
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Mast Steps on the Transom

Post by Duncan »

I have a removable, fold-up ladder on the stern quarter, but it drags in the water when the boat's heeled. It would drag even worse if it was mounted amidships, so I think I will move the brackets and put it out over the transom.

I guess it would be nice to mount some brackets amidships for use in harbour. I don't find the stern plunges very much in most conditions, though, so I think this would be more of a convenience than anything else.

A friend of mine has that idea of mast steps on the transom of his Albin Vega. I think it's probably not a bad set up for emergency boarding, especially if you also had a handhold or a rope to grab.

I used to have a rope ladder where I could pull it down into the water, but I found it really hard to use, because the bottom steps go right under the boat once you put your weight on them.
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Single step is a great idea

Post by KDreese »

Henry,

Great idea with the single folding step. I am wondering how it was mounted? It is just through bolted or is there a backing plate behind it on the inside of the stern? Any pics of the mounting on the inside? Also, very nice looking CD25!

Thanks

Kevin
"Life begins at 2 knots."
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

the step

Post by henry hey »

I don't know how it's mounted. I'll check. I definitely want to add it to any future boats I would own.

There is a fairly sobering thread here about falling overboard and the difficulty of getting back aboard. If you read it you will definitely be inclined to add such a step to your transom.

-h
Jim Walsh

folding stern ladder

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have the standard CD31 folding stern ladder but I have the two fastpins which secure it in the upright position installed upside down with a lanyard secured to their pull rings. I can reach up from the water, pull each lanyard to remove the pins and the ladder will drop into position so I can get back aboard. It took a little time to get the lanyards the right length and positioned just right but I consider it an important safety feature.
ocean31

swim ladder for CD 25 input

Post by ocean31 »

Thank you everyone for the input, it is a big help. My CD25 came with a cheap plastic fold up ladder. I thought about putting an installed folding ladder on the stern, but could not quite bear covering up a beautiful transom.

Work on the CD25 (unnamed as yet) will probably proceed slowly as time permits. I own an Ocean/performance/Morgan 31 the same kind of boat John Vigor sailed over from South Africa. The Ocean31 actually takes up most of my time, but I found this Cape Dory on Craigslist and had to buy it. When asked why I needed another boat (this makes 6 in all) I explained to the family "But Hon, it’s a Cape Dory!"

So a little time and ebay should bring her condition up at least a little better.

Again thanks for the ideas, I will probably go for the fold up ladder that has the permament mounts.

The folding fixed mount steps are an excellent idea that works well for emergencies. My Ocean31 came with one mounted on the stern right above the water. I am nearly 50 but I still have no problems using it to come out of the water on a routine basis.

Take care

JSB
mexsailor

Fold Away Step

Post by mexsailor »

Well, the pciture of that fold away transom step is just what the Dr. ordered!!
The PO had used a flimsy aluminum fold up that hung over the side. It would fit under one of the lazarettes.
While restoring the CD25, I bought a new SS slide down ladder that was originally going to go on the stern behind the engine mount. But with adding the Icom Antenna Tuner, Wind Vane and Danforth back there, I can't do it.
That fold-down step is a great idea and since the boat is home for awhile I may just install one. This is great for MOB and since I solo most of the time and tether on, it allows me some grip on getting back on board.
I could still use the hang over ladder while anchored and swimming for pleasure instead of survival. Great idea that... thanks for sharing....
Fair winds....
m
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Fold Up step

Post by Sea Owl »

Henry;

Great idea for 25! Thanks for the photo?

Anybody know any good sources for these?
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
henry hey

Folding step here

Post by henry hey »