You had to know it was coming!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

You had to know it was coming!

Post by Gary M »

First sail of the 2009 season in Marina del Rey!

[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p286 ... st2009.jpg[/img]
barfwinkle

IF

Post by barfwinkle »

it was as glorious of a day in Marina del Rey as it was on Kerr Lake, Oklahoma, you had one hell of a 2009 inaugural sail.

Fair winds and following lakes
Bill Member #250.
Russell

Post by Russell »

While I have no photos of it, my first 09 sail was Bequia to St Lucia, Rodney Bay, not a bad one distance wise, 70 miles. Though it was a beat in 20 to 25 knot winds with a couple 30 to 35 knot squalls in almost constant rain. About 120 miles under the keel beating in a 24 hour sail, mostly under double reef main and staysail (by far the best balance a CD36 finds ever, 25 knots of wind and that sail combo, even with seas you hardly have to touch the wheel). It was not a fun welcome to 09, but my one crew, who has covered many ocean miles on long passages does keep remarking how amazingly solid the CD36 is no matter what gets thrown at her. Welcome 09 and thank you Lady Pauline for loving ugly weather far more then I do!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Hey Russell.....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I know you're nowhere near them, but in case you were wondering where fellow CDSOA member boats Whisper (Pam & Allen Evans) and Adagio (Merrie & Mike Thorpe) are, they are both at Crown Bay Marina, Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas. They spent the "New Year" there -- not sure where they'll head next but I'm sure they'll be heading southeastward soon.

Have a great sailing season!

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Cathy,

I just missed them by a few weeks. I was in St. Thomas on December 14 after spending the previous 10 days sailing the Virgins!!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Russell

Re: Hey Russell.....

Post by Russell »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:I know you're nowhere near them, but in case you were wondering where fellow CDSOA member boats Whisper (Pam & Allen Evans) and Adagio (Merrie & Mike Thorpe) are, they are both at Crown Bay Marina, Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas. They spent the "New Year" there -- not sure where they'll head next but I'm sure they'll be heading southeastward soon.
I knew Adagio was on their way down to the islands, I am sailing strait back to Culebra from Martinique though, so unless they head to the SVI I like will not see them. I only go to the USVI and BVI when absolutely nessisary (sorry, I know some love the virgins, but I have never understood why!).
Russell
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Russell wrote:
Cathy Monaghan wrote:I know you're nowhere near them, but in case you were wondering where fellow CDSOA member boats Whisper (Pam & Allen Evans) and Adagio (Merrie & Mike Thorpe) are, they are both at Crown Bay Marina, Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas. They spent the "New Year" there -- not sure where they'll head next but I'm sure they'll be heading southeastward soon.
I knew Adagio was on their way down to the islands, I am sailing strait back to Culebra from Martinique though, so unless they head to the SVI I like will not see them. I only go to the USVI and BVI when absolutely nessisary (sorry, I know some love the virgins, but I have never understood why!).
Hi Russell,

They had been in Puerto Rican waters in November, so yo'all missed each other then. Anyway, have a great sailing season.

Cathy
Russell

Post by Russell »

Cathy Monaghan wrote:
Hi Russell,

They had been in Puerto Rican waters in November, so yo'all missed each other then. Anyway, have a great sailing season.

Cathy
Thats odd, because in december they were in virginia and trying to get to puerto rico/VIs and heading to bermuda to wait for weather.
Russell
Cathy Monaghan

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I think I have this all straight --

Allen and Pam (s/y Whisper) made it to Puerto Rico on November 19th after leaving from Bermuda. They berthed at Puerto Del Rey Marina, Fajardo.

Mike and Merrie (s/y Adagio) left Bermuda on December 19th and decided to head for the USVI rather than the previously planned trip to Puerto Rico. They arrived in St. John on Christmas Eve. While in St. John they met up with Allen and Pam. They spent a few days in Maho Bay then in Christmas Cove. Mike had to have Adagio's mainsail repaired but they should be heading for Puerto Rico and the Spanish Virgins tomorrow (1/8).

So maybe you'll get to see them after all! Adagio is an Outbound 44.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

I have some photos I took during the trip on Whisper from Annapolis to Fajardo, PR. I'll post them shortly and add the link on this thread.

Right now there's a great snowfall here in WI. Expect 7-9" through tomorrow. When we don't sail, we x-c ski. Hitting the hills this weekend!

Bob
Bob L

Whisper photos

Post by Bob L »

I've put up a few photos of Whisper's passage from Annapolis to Fajardo, PR.

http://astro.uchicago.edu/~rfl/Whisper/
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Beautiful Pictures

Post by Oswego John »

Bob,

All great pictures. My favorite is Seascape #1. Vivid contrast in blue.

Just great,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Fabulous Photos!! Wish I was along!!!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Great Pics Bob

Brings back many fond memories of walking to and fro, Customs Dock and the Dinghy Club.

Thanks and fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

OJ,

I took many, many photos of just the sea. The color kept getting bluer and bluer, with all shades of shadows. I suppose many of us have been asked what is there to look at when there's just horizon all around. When I was working down at the pole, I would just gaze at the horizon for hours. Same with the ocean. Both very similar, except with the ocean the horizon has little blips of waves on it that....watching them is similar to seeing shapes in the clouds.

Bob