To cover or not to cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Big E
Salem, MA

To cover or not to cover

Post by Big E »

I hauled Solstice well into November. She is now drydocked under a naked tree in my yard. Should I bother to cover her at this point?
All responses appreciated.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

To Cover Or Not To Cover

Post by Oswego John »

I notice that your boat is located in New England, ground zero for sleet, hail, nor'easters that bring nasty things with them, not to mention snow.

You do realize that the word snow is a four letter word that nice people don't use in everyday, civilized conversation.

I live in a snowbelt, too. I ALWAYS cover my boats with plastic tarps. I secure the tarps over a framework, usually made of wood. This framework helps support the tarp from developing pockets under the weight of the snow.

I try to have the finished shape of the cover as an inverted "vee" so the snow will slide off and not accumulate on the cover.

I remove cushions, dock lines, etc from the boat before covering. I try to have cross ventilation that will allow air flow but prevent critters and varmints from entering and making a winter home for themselves and their young. If allowed in, critters can do considerable damage to contents inside the hull.

My thoughts on the subject.
O J
tartansailor

Trees Shedding

Post by tartansailor »

The vote here is an overwhelming "Cover the boat"
We have a mixed variety of oaks, some pine, and a few hickory's.
Between the small black specs I think come from the oaks, the pine needles, and the leaves, it's a mess.
Shrink wrap would be ideal, because with a tarp the crud still finds it's way in.

Dick
Maine Sail

Yes, Yes, YES !!!!

Post by Maine Sail »

Yes get it covered!! I have seen more boats destroyed by not covering them than by any other single factor..... I watched a $400,000 boat with navy blue top sides and an oiled teak interior suffer 30k bill worth of refinishing because it was left uncovered..

One word CONDENSATION!!!!

Dry your bilge and cover it!
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Are you too late?

Post by Joe Myerson »

Big E:

If you haven't already been hit by the Great December Ice Storm, by all means cover that boat--quickly!

Even if you did get hit in Salem, clean the boat out and cover her FAST!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

I have a cover you can use

Post by Roy J. »

E --

I am in Marblehead and have an extra 25' x 30' heavy duty tarp that covers a CD-25 perfectly down to the waterline. It isn't in perfect shape, but it is certainly better than nothing, and you can have it for the picking up at my house. PM if you are interested. Your brightwork will appreciate the effort.

Roy
Roy Jacobowitz
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hi

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi ever one.......

you should all was cover your boat before winter if you can.....

when i had larger boats, i only did the cockpit.....

but smaller boats you can cover the whole thing.....

happy holiday......

winthrop
Len

Winter in the water

Post by Len »

I have always dutifully covered my boats (tarps).and stored them on the hard. For the last decade(?) they have been shrink wrapped.
Lately I have watched the progress of about a dozen boats spent at their slip during winter in various stages of covering. The trawlers seem to suffer no visible damage save for the increase in below the water growth. Several of the sailboats go naked for the winter, a prospect that looks none too appealing. A couple are professionally shrink wrapped for their wintery stay in the water.
Is the only argument against leaving a covered sailboat in the water for the (New ENgland) winter, the freeze /thaw on the standing rig above the tarp? Is it really worth the hassle of hauling/decommissioning/storing/recommissioning/splashing every year ? I have seen yards in Maine where they don't pull the mast but tarp the boat on the hard.
I would like to hear from people who have stored their boats in the water with the mast in, and well tarped ,during a cold winter.
Last edited by Len on Dec 20th, '08, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Winter in the water

Post by Neil Gordon »

Len wrote:Is the only argument against leaving a covered sailboat in the water for the (New ENgland) winter, the freeze /thaw on the standing rig above the tarp?
For the most boats, the rig will be up either way.

Depending on where you are, the water will freeze. Even if it doesn't freeze tight around the hull (which it might) it will freeze in the seacocks and hoses. On the other hand, if it's a cold winter, it will freeze around the hull. My marina's lost pilings because every tiime the tide comes in, the ice around them pulls them up just a teeny bit more.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Len

Post by Len »

Neil,
The boat would not suffer the fate of pilings due to freezing from falling/rising tide, since the boat floats.

Freezing in the seacocks and hoses! - How can that be prevented?

Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

As a Minnesota sailor I vote to cover. Obviously, we pull for the season. But the freeze thaw cycle and dirt is the enemy of our CD's. I restored a Typhoon that had been left out in a field for four years, fenders still hanging over the side and all. There was considerable wood replacement needed.

I think this was because water gets into the joint of the toerail and deck and freeze thaw separates and then rots the wood. Forget about brightwork. My brother and I shrink wrap our boats each season in an annual festival of work, obnoxious male humor, and workingman/sailor attitude each October. Other poor family members join us sometimes, bless 'em. We like it because there is little chance of leaves and dirt blowing in. The leaves by us can really stain our decks. If I didn't shrink I would tarp as best I could with the tarps tied down to the cradle and not with milk jugs filled with water. No one has ever been able to describe to me any advantage of that idea.

I also think the extra six months a year of UV rays does considerable damage, that is why I send messenger lines up for my halyards each winter. Being in the wilderness tripping business, I have seen what UV does to plastics with a fleet of canoes and expedition tents needing replacement in a matter of years. The sun giveth and the sun taketh away! My goal is always to get the least taken away from my poor boat as much as possible. Speaking of that philosophy, please excuse my bottom. I take plenty of grief from my brother regarding this...

I do not pull my mast each year. We are in freshwater so I think there is more risk of damage in doing this than leaving it up, Especially in some yards. I have worked in marinas and know the skill levels of workers, or lack thereof. I do go up to the crane each spring and check each fitting and the spreaders. It is fun for me and I feel much better trust in the rig when it comes on to blow.

For my money, I would cover anyway possible, this is just our system.

Paul in MN with 7" of snow coming down.
Last edited by Paul D. on Dec 20th, '08, 16:35, edited 4 times in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Len wrote:Neil,
The boat would not suffer the fate of pilings due to freezing from falling/rising tide, since the boat floats.
Sure, but the point is that the ice does freeze hard around the hull.

I know one of the Maine schooners with a pretty good ice groove worn in her hull from wintering over in Camden harbor. Granted the hull is wood but the force of the ice is the same.

Bubblers will keep the surface ice free. Still don't know what you do about seacocks and hoses.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Len

Seacocks and hoses

Post by Len »

a new slip occupant recently arrived (a 36 foot sailboat) and was shrink wrapped in clear. Spoke to him briefly. He will be living aboard all winter. There are several trawlers with live aboards but he is the only sail here. We discussed his heating system but have not as yet gotten down to some of the nitty gritty of wintering over. (The harbor usually doesn't freeze over, but the air temp today is 7 deg. The water is probably 40 deg warmer.)

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Clear Shrinkwrap

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yes, many Northeast liveaboards use clear shrinkwrap, as it gives them some extra, solar-heated living space.

I've never tried it, but I have seen it.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Big E
Salem, MA

And the winner is...

Post by Big E »

Thank you to all that responded. I heeded everyone's advice & covered the Solstice. I managed to finish putting it on an hour and a half before the snow started falling. A big thank you to Roy J for offering up a tarp for me to use. I had a 25x30 in my garage and used it. I think it will work out OK. Just think, only 4 months until launch. I hope it goes by quickly.