Typhoon Hull/Deck Joint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mcoop

Typhoon Hull/Deck Joint

Post by mcoop »

G'day, All,

Question re: Typhoon rub/toe rails and hull/deck jpoint.

Am in the process of replacing rails and am wondering whether the screws that hold the rails also provide any (significant) support to the hull/deck joint.

I was considering filling and redrilling holes instead of trying to accurately drill and align rails to use original holes.

Any comments here would be appreciated.

Tks.
MC
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

I was once advised not to remove the rails if I could avoid it, but I didn't ask any questions about the whys or wherefores. Knowing what I do about my Ty, I would say that I don't think you'll hurt anything by removing them, but it might be a royal pain to put new ones on.
wingreen

BTW...

Post by wingreen »

... the Typhoon manual, found elsewhere on this site, describes a little bit of the hull-deck joint. The toe rail screws might provide some support, but I am of the opinion that it's not so much that you couldn't take the rails off if you need to.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Ty rails

Post by Jim Davis »

Having done it on a Daysailor I would say do it. Fill the old holes with thickened epoxy and drill new ones. The join does not seem to be affected by the screws, but new ones run in will go into the join.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

I remember reading somewhere, but I cannot remember where, that the screws are an integral part of the deck joint along with the adhesive. The owners manual shows a picture of the joint and it indicates the toe-rail screws are the only thing other than the adhesive that holds the joint together. I have all of the toe-rails off of my Typhoon at this time and have filled in the holes. I will soon be installing the new toe-rails.
Have A Nice Day
Jim Buck

deck-hull joint

Post by Jim Buck »

I'm replacing my rails and have removed them. The 1981 manual states:

"The flange is then prepped and coated liberally with a special polyester bonding material and the deck bonded into place. The joint is later screwed down in the case of the TY and C-22, and in all others thru-bolted on 12â€
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

I just went out and inspected my Typhoon. I looked very hard at the deck where the toe-rail is supposed to be and also crawled around the interior with a mirror and a flashlight. Other than the adhesive the only thing holding the deck joint is the screws that go through the toe-rail and into the deck. But, the adhesive is very good as I have removed all of the screws and the deck is very secure. The original screws were long enough to penetrate the deck about 3/4" to 1" and the deck is not that thick where it joins the hull.
Have A Nice Day
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I also have all my toe rails off of my 72 Typhoon and I can't see how the screws could do much for the hull /deck joint. My boat doesn't have a rub rail , I wonder if the screws in that on the newer boats help hold things together.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

According to the drawing in my owners manual the screws that go down through the toe-rail also go through the deck and into the hull deck flange. Also, the screws that go through the rubstrake go through the hull just above the flange and into the deck. All of that is removed at this time and the deck appears to be securely attached to the hull. Must be good adhesive that they used during the assembly process.
Have A Nice Day
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Rails and screws

Post by Jim Davis »

When I put the rails on my wifes Ty, the yard suggested SS self tapping screws. Don't recall the size, but one inch sounds right. She filled the old holes with thickened epoxy and I pre-drilled the rails. With the help of a friend we bent the new rails on and drilled the new holes in the deck/hull through the pre-drilled rail holes. Kinda slow and tedious, but not rocket science. The sides of the rails were masked as was the deck and this is one place I like 5200.

http://www.capedory.org/specs/TY-opendaysailer.jpg
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei