Best Nylon Dock Lines

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

Best Nylon Dock Lines

Post by jneely »

Any opinions out there on the best brand of nylon three strand dock lines? The ones I have now have become very stiff after only a few years' use. Other lines I have used for many years with no stiffening. A chemist friend tells me it has to do with the plasticizers they use.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Dock Lines

Post by Oswego John »

Some people have posted that they toss their lines in the washing machine and add a little fabric softener to the water.

I don't remember if they put the line in a mesh bag or not.

Good luck,
O J
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Try these

Post by moctrams »

I buy my dock lines from Cajun Rope Co. in Canada.
They will customize to your liking.

http://www.cajuntrading.ca/
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Dock Lines

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:I don't remember if they put the line in a mesh bag or not.
I'm thinking the washing machine repair guy loves when you forget the mesh bag.

If you want to keep the machine balanced, use two bags with half the load in each.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I like the braided lines better than 3 strand. We purchased braided dock lines from Boat US (when the had stores). I picked them up at an end of season sale. With the sale price, prespliced was actually less expensive than buying three strand and splicing myself.

They are gold and white and look like the New England Ropes nylon double braid. We wash them each season in the washing machine using laundry detergent and liquid fabric softener and a mesh bag. Actually we just did that today!

New England Ropes Double Braid
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jim Walsh

Replacement may be in order

Post by Jim Walsh »

I recently read (I'd have to put my thinking cap on to remember the source) that the shock loads associated with storm surge and high winds caused a substantial decrease in the strength of braided and three strand lines. I intend to replace my docklines every few years rather than risk a problem when I'm not aboard. I used to use them until they were badly chafed, now I'll just replace them regardless of how they look. I look at it as cheap insurance.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

For what it may be worth, when I took custody and care of S/V Tapdole, the PO included many different size dock lines of varying sizes and condition.

Based on suggestions from this board, and as suggested by "Oswego John" I put them all in the washing machine enclosed in 2-3 mesh dive bags (the Admiral was long gone and had no voice in this decision :( ) along with a cup of "softener". All of the lines came out clean, supple and fresh smelling. Worked great.

Based on my experience, I would recommend this as a first option before investing in new lines.

I recently purchased several New England 3 strand nylon lines to use for hurricane prep. They appear to be of excellent quality. I previously bought Sampson lines from Defender for anchor lines that were also of excellent quality.

For my judgment, you get what you pay for. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
BillNH

Use front-loading washing machine...

Post by BillNH »

DO NOT wash lines in a top loading washing machine - you can damage the agitator that moves up and down in the center. Save your home machine and throw a few quarters in a commercial grade front-loader at the local laundromat.

I've washed both climbing ropes and boat lines for years at the end of each season and it does help keep them clean and extend their life. The fresh water wash is especially good for sheets that are often exposed to salt water, as salt crystals left behind when the water evaporates will reduce the life of the line...
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

bottomscraper wrote:I like the braided lines better than 3 strand. We purchased braided dock lines from Boat US (when the had stores). I picked them up at an end of season sale. With the sale price, prespliced was actually less expensive than buying three strand and splicing myself.

They are gold and white and look like the New England Ropes nylon double braid. We wash them each season in the washing machine using laundry detergent and liquid fabric softener and a mesh bag. Actually we just did that today!

New England Ropes Double Braid
Rich,
I used double braid for dock lines and anchor rodes for years. A few years ago, Practical Sailor did some abrasion/life cycle testing of various line and found that 3 strand laid line was much more resistant to chafe.

I have switched my dock lines to New England 3 strand although I still have 300' of double braid bent on the anchor (and another 300' that has never been used).

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where my line is retirement), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Three-strand, wash in a trash can

Post by Joe Myerson »

FWIW, I use three-strand nylon dock lines (because I also read that report in Practical Sailor).

To soften them, I fill a plastic trash can with luke warm water and several capsful of fabric softener. Then I agitate the lines with an oar or a piece of wood.

I use the same process for my anchor rode, which would NEVER go into a washing maching, since there's 25 feet of chain spiced to one end.

When I remember, I do the same thing with my running rigging.

It seems to work well.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
mgphl52

Another point for 3-strand...

Post by mgphl52 »

Is that it is very easy to weave a small cord through to mark your "usual" dock line position at the cleat. After I've been in a slip for a while, I always like to mark the lines in this way so that it is easy to tie her up quickly at night or in stormy/rainy conditions - just "feel" for the marker and cleat off. This also helps new or inexperienced crew so they can "feel" like they are being helpful (Yes! some folks really do like to do more than just sail with you and jump off at the dock...).

Joe, Thanks for the trash can idea! I need to do that with my anchor rode as well. They both got pretty nasty after holding KAYLA for both Gustav and then Ike over in the bayou in Mandeville LA (damn glad she and us are finally back together in Niceville FL!).

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!