Vendee Globe

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Judith

Quite right, Neil

Post by Judith »

Neil Gordon wrote:I just do a search for those friends I know and then they pop up again.
That's exactly how it worked (or didn't) for me--until shortly after mentioning it here on the board. Within an hour of kvetching publicly, all the ships I've added rematerialized automatically, along with several unknown competitors.

Either venting does help, or the Virtual Regatta folks are keeping tabs on the Cape Dory board :D
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Arm Chair Theory #4958

Post by Warren S »

Perhaps the countries that are well represented in the race are those that identify strongly with a sea-faring heritage, whereas the US is a bit more "Wild West" oriented (despite such excellent works as Two Years Before the Mast (Richard Henry Dana Jr.)!
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Around the world race

Post by Neil Gordon »

Dixon Hemphill wrote:Of all the comments I'm reading John Ring's explanation of why we Americans are not in this Round-the-World-Race race have caused me to wonder just why don't more American sailors compete in this and other ocean races?
It's mostly because it costs megabucks and you can't do it without corporate sponsors. But for the sponsors, they can't/won't do it unless they have customers that will care, watch and appreciate their sponsorship.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
BillNH

"WanderBird" is in...

Post by BillNH »

"WanderBird" is racing... she's never moved this fast before either! :D
Judith

Re: "WanderBird" is in...

Post by Judith »

BillNH wrote:"WanderBird" is racing... she's never moved this fast before either! :D
She's not the only one, Bill. "Avecita" is our 8' Trinka dinghy, currently cruising at 9.7 knots: "Hold on to your hats, it's going to be a bumpy ride" :!:
John Ring

Here's your chance...

Post by John Ring »

She's all yours for $1.2M +/- :D
Neil Gordon wrote:It's mostly because it costs megabucks and you can't do it without corporate sponsors. But for the sponsors, they can't/won't do it unless they have customers that will care, watch and appreciate their sponsorship.
Neil's spot on. It takes lots of $ to mount a viable campaign. Americans don't watch this stuff en masse, so there's no return on the advertising plastered on the side of an Open 60, as there is on a stock car, or advertising minutes during a Sunday NFL game. Without substantial sponsorship, there is no boat.

However, there is a gently used Open 60 on Yachtworld asking $1.2M. If we all pass the hat, and then draw straws to see who drives...

I think she'd look pretty sharp with a teak bow sprit, and a nice brown boot stripe.

John :)
Open 60 Tantalus
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Gizmos?

Post by Neil Gordon »

The virtual race lets offers autopilot, scheduled course changes, cell phone capability and maybe more. Unfortunately, you can't use virtual $$$ to pay for the gizmos.

So far, I've lashed my helm for the night after setting a best guess course based on the wind forecast. Sometimes I make great progress while I'm sleeping and sometimes not.

Anyone bought the gizmos? Are the gizmo sailors as a group ahead or behind the rest of us?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Judith

Re: Gizmos

Post by Judith »

Actually, I'd wondered about that, too. So I just did a quick check of positions #1-4: three of them have all the extra goodies.

It's a limited sample. . .but I probably won't be sifting through the other 80,000+ plus possibilities :D
Judith

News article on 'Friends'

Post by Judith »

Nov. 15 Saturday:

"We have isolated a technical problem with Internet Explorer: sometimes your friendss list disappears without any apparent reason.

Your friend will always remain a friend of yours. He is not lost and it is simply a "display" issue. Our technical staff is working on it and hopefully this will be corrected very soon. "
Neil Gordon

Re: Gizmos

Post by Neil Gordon »

Judith wrote:Actually, I'd wondered about that, too. So I just did a quick check of positions #1-4: three of them have all the extra goodies.

It's a limited sample. . .but I probably won't be sifting through the other 80,000+ plus possibilities :D
There are lots of boats further back in the pack, and clustered around our little CD fleet, that have all the gizmos installed. We seem to be holding our own.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Gizmos

Post by Sea Owl »

I too have noted that the lead pack all have 'all the gizmos'.

That said, I think wind analysis is a bigger factor than gizmos. The site claims 12nm a day advantage to the gizmos, and I am sure they may help - autopilot on wind would be the most advantage I would think, since the helm 'locks' and doesn't drift when you are not watching. Autosails too, maybe.

Personally, I am in it for fun....finishing in top 25% would be a chest pounder for this daysailer!

Thus for me at least, the investment in the gizmos just isn't worth it.

And besides, the CD pack is doing ok without them!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Yes, especially if I hadn't...

Post by Warren S »

slept late this morning until finding i was in irons this morning So. of the Canairies. Took all day to find any decent wind above 4 knots.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Liquidity: Dump that staff meeting and tumble up on deck!

Post by Warren S »

Friendly competative ribbing to follow:

3.6 knots in a 24knot wind??? I didn't now you could heave-to a *virtual* open 60!

On the other hand, I might just have a chance of catching you...
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>3.6 knots in a 24knot wind??? <<

I was in a meeting. :(

It was less than three knots when I returned. Back up to 19 now. I was "passed" by 4,000 boats in the meantime.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Wow -- I don't have any excuse

Post by Roy J. »

I am getting my transom handed to me, mostly because I was trying to be strategic overnight. I thought west was the way to avoid the doldrums. Looks like the way to move up in this race is to focus on the here and now and leave strategy to bigger brains.
Roy Jacobowitz