boat reading

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

rtbates

boat reading

Post by rtbates »

We got our Kindle Sunday night and it's one very slick piece of electronics. Imagine being able to carry hundreds of books in the space and weight of a paperback?

Over 199,000 titles download in less than a minute anywhere you have cell phone coverage. I got 150+ collection of Herman Meville ($4.79), 300+ collection of mark Twain ($4.79). I'm hooked. My wife and I will still need to carry some paper reading material unless we get another one, which is a disticnt possibility

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FI73MA/?ta ... a2g0ask9_b
Randy 25D Seraph #161
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Randy,

I've been intrigued with this device for a while. My Dad, who has always been an avid reader, had a stroke last year and lost most use of his right side. (Plus, he's "right-handed"...) So, I have two quick questions:

1) How difficult would it be to use this with only one hand?
2) Is the type size easily adjustable? (He's 86 and a bit near sighted.)

Many Thanks!

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have heard of these and have been intrigued, being a full time cruiser I go through a lot of books. But the books available are often painfully limited. A couple important things I wonder:

1) How well can you read in sunlight? Even shaded? Is this, like a laptop, indoor only durring daylight hours?

2) Outside of cell coverage, is there a way to hook it to the laptop or internet in someway and still get new books? Or is it cell phone only? For a full time cruiser who leaves the US this is an unfortunate deal breaker.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

mgphl52 wrote:Hi Randy,

I've been intrigued with this device for a while. My Dad, who has always been an avid reader, had a stroke last year and lost most use of his right side. (Plus, he's "right-handed"...) So, I have two quick questions:

1) How difficult would it be to use this with only one hand?
2) Is the type size easily adjustable? (He's 86 and a bit near sighted.)

Many Thanks!

-michael
One handed operation is very easy. Left or right. I read using only my right thumb to chance pages. You could also use your left thumb. The only thing that is on ONLY one side is the 'previous page' button, but then again you can use the 'back' button instead which is on the right. There are 6 fonts sizes that are adjustabale with a single right side buttom use. With 6 being the largest I use 4. 6 is huge. I use that IF I can't find my reading glasses..
Randy 25D Seraph #161
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Russell wrote:I have heard of these and have been intrigued, being a full time cruiser I go through a lot of books. But the books available are often painfully limited. A couple important things I wonder:

1) How well can you read in sunlight? Even shaded? Is this, like a laptop, indoor only durring daylight hours?

2) Outside of cell coverage, is there a way to hook it to the laptop or internet in someway and still get new books? Or is it cell phone only? For a full time cruiser who leaves the US this is an unfortunate deal breaker.
It's NOT backlight so it reads EXACTLY like the printed word, which it is. The more light the better. In darkness it needs a light just like a book. It's the exact opposite of a laptop when it comes to reading in light/darkness. It's EXACTLY like a book..

Yes, russell, you can get books via Amazon to your computer and then use the USB cable to get them to the Kindle. That's the only way to get audio books into the Kindle because of the file size. It's also how you get mp3 music into it.

Amazon has all the bases covered. You can also use SD cards to get media into/out of the Kindle, so you can swap with others...

I've never been so excited about a new product in years. For us the ability to carry hundreds of books onto the boat with the Kidle was it's selling point. We may end up getting another if we end up both wanting to read at the same time. Go to the Amazon "Kindle Store" and list all the 199,000+ items available and sort by reverse price. You'll be amassed at the number of books for less than $.99. Most all the classics are less than a dollar. Jack London's, "Muntiny on The Elsinore", which I'm now reading, was $.99 for example.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Russell

Post by Russell »

Very interesting, especially reguarding reading in the light, very cool.

My birthday is in a week, this may be the perfect gift to myself :D
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Russell wrote:Very interesting, especially reguarding reading in the light, very cool.

My birthday is in a week, this may be the perfect gift to myself :D
Outside in full sun the type literally jumps off the page.

If you like to read, and live on a boat I can't imagine anything better.

It was our (my wife & I) christmas gift to each other.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Tod M

sounds

Post by Tod M »

like just the thing for a boat.

Any thoughts on whether it will stand up over time to the tough environment?
rtbates

Re: sounds

Post by rtbates »

Tod M wrote:like just the thing for a boat.

Any thoughts on whether it will stand up over time to the tough environment?
Tod:

Not yet. For extended use on a boat at sea I'd go with a water proof case such as a Pelican.
Same for a laptop. It's not waterproof for sure..
Randy 25D Seraph #161