Bilge pump. new installation

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

doubleb

Bilge pump. new installation

Post by doubleb »

Hello all.

I am going to install an electric bilge pump in my 1979 CD25. Can anyone recommend a pump for its size (physical), capacity. and ease of installation.

Thanks
Brian
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Brian,

How much water are you getting in the bilge? While I had Brigitta, the only water collection would be in the icebox. I just used a manual pump to get most of it out via the cockpit scuppers and then a sponge for the last bit. Have you check the thru-hulls & hoses for the cockpit drains?

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
doubleb

Post by doubleb »

Hey Michael

She is still dry as a bone. I thought I would install one. It's not an issue right now but you never know.

Ice box?
you mean beverage box don't you? Ok I might put a little ice in there.

Thanks
Brian & Shane
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Yep! That's the place... used to be stocked with ice cold Red Dog (till the ice all melted...). I thought I had left something like this on board when she was sold to Gary, but I could be wrong. I just believe in keeping things as simple as possible. Less to break/maintain that a way! :D

Enjoy, Have FUN & SAIL! (oops, I'm being redundant now)

-michael

PS: My Admiral got me to switch to Miller Lite and I lost 30+ pounds!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Brian,

Your boat is probably dry as a bone, so you are not necessarily concerned with water flowing back into the bilge from the standing part of the discharge hose. If this is the case, why not install the largest capacity pump you can. Granted, even the best 12 VDC pump will not keep up with the flow of even a moderate sized hole, but if you are having to bail, every bit of help is welcome. Plus, if the boat is unattended in a slip somewhere someone might notice if the pump keeps cycling on. Its amazing how many boats sink in the slip. On that note, a high water alarm is nice to have and are easy to make with a float switch and bell like those used in schools and fire alarm systems. It will definitely get someone's attention in the marina just be sure to put a toggle switch in the system so you can turn it off.

Oh yeah, Michael you may be on to something there. A Miller Lite diet. What a great idea......
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Steve Bryant
"Elan"
Ocean Springs, MS

West Marine cartridge pump

Post by Steve Bryant »

Hi Brian,

The bilge on my CD25 probably stays as dry as yours does, but I installed a WM 1000gph cartridge pump with the electronic switch about two years ago (around $75 at the time). It is fairly slim and fits down in the narrow bilge sump of the CD25 without any trouble. It also has a 90 degree fitting that keeps it from laying on its side when you put it in a place you can' see. The electronic switch works well and I trust it more than a regular float type switch. From a capacity standpoint, It hasn't failed to keep up pumping out all the water that goes in there while I'm flushin the bilge with the hose cleaning it out.

We have been known to get a few tropical storms and hurricanes down here during the summer months, which is about the only time I turn on the automatic switch for extended periods. (We got torrential rains during TS Fay and Hurricane Gustav). I tell myself the pump worked well on those occasions because there was hardly any water in the bilge to pump out .

A good high capacity manual pump is a necessity though. Keep it maintained and use it as often as you to can to make sure it is in good working order (your batteries won't always be up to the task). The main reason that I have an automatic electric pump is for my own neurotic peace of mind.

Good Luck,
Steve Bryant
"Elan" 1981 CD25 #815
doubleb

Post by doubleb »

Thanks for the input,
I was going to install it for peace of mind also. I too like things simple as possible, but.

I did not find any Red Dogs. but I have found a few Bud Lites.
The lite diet only works at home.
You work around the yard while consuming lites. When you are done with your lite you through the empty to the ground. This continues until you are out of lites. Then you go back and pick up all the empty lites.(deep knee bends) The more lites the more of a work out.

Yea I know it's a Bilge pump topic. sorry

Thanks for the help

Thanks
Brian & Shane
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Thoughts

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

On pump selection, select it (or them) to make you feel comfortable. There are those that are probably comfortable with a manual pump, while others have put in two electric pumps and have the manual as back up and are still not completely comfortable.
FYI, the two pump set up is a small pump/switch at the very bottom, to get all the little stuff, and a large setup mounted a bit higher, for those crisis times.
Also look at your power supply (battery, o/b, charger) and think about how much power you really have to power the electic pump, and keep the battery charged and pump running.
Additional thought on the electic switch, it does use power ALL THE TIME. How are you keeping the battery charged during the non-use times? Someone I know has an electronic switch, and had an issue of it draining #1 battery in a couple of weeks, if the battery was not charged on a regular (OFTEN) basis.