Hareware found in the engine bilge water

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Hareware found in the engine bilge water

Post by Shipscarver »

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/293 ... 29ea_m.jpg

The engine bilge had water in it so I cleaned it out. And - found hardware! A plastic knob with the stem broken off at its base, A bolt with a nut almost at the top, a washer, a small nut, and a thin brass washer not shown.
Maybe the raw water filter is where the knob came from. I can't find one on it. The rest . . .????
If it is off the raw water filter, can I replace it? Or, do I have to replace the whole strainer?
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

The big flat washer is definitely from a seacock. Probably from the seacock that controls water out of the sink drain on the starboard side of a CD27.

The bolt and washer "may" be an engine mount bolt but it could be other things.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Jim Buck

solitary nut

Post by Jim Buck »

I have an '84 22D with the Yanmar 1GM10 and the solitary nut pictured looks like an engine mount nut. Mine are 5/8" fine thread and labeled M14. ???
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

loose parts in the bilge

Post by Shipscarver »

I just had the sink seacock replaced. So, maybe this is not all bad news. But, I will check out the engine bolts today.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Maybe take a look in the bilge, too

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

If you found that stuff under the engine, wonder what might be in the bilge? Everything tends to end up there.
Take a wet/dry vac to get out all the water, then grab anything with an "olive picker".
In mine, besides the usual pieces of hardware, nuts, washers, screws, bolts, zip ties, I found pliers, a wrench and a screwdriver, all in various stages of decomposition.