Asymmetrical Spinnaker on CD31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Len

KISS

Post by Len »

I prefer top keep my lines and hardware as simple as I can as I sail singlehanded very often. ALso I don't like lines let to the cockpit unnecessarily. (this is partially the result of having previously flown a sym spinnaker with all the uphauls, downhauls, forguys etc etc.).
My current setup is as follows- Asym spinnaker on a sock. Tack of spin connected to a line which runs through a block. The line continues to a cleat. The block has a snap shackle that I connect as above to the bottom of pulpit near anchor rollers. A single sheet is attached to the clew. The sheet runs aft to a snatch block. The block is attached to a genoa slide car and than run to a winch or cleat.
To tack I lower the sock, carry the single sheet between the staysail stay and the fuller -with the sock, move the snap shacked block and readjust. By the way, when the sock comes down and is removed from the deck nothing is left on deck from its use- no lines, no blocks- just the halyard.

Certainly you could add another sheet, more blocks and more control lines.This way I never get a spin wrap, or worse yet a torn spin. It does require a little more leg work forward but in spin weather this is rarely a problem. I realize that this a very slow way to handle the sail.. but I don't race.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com