Mast wedges

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Len

Mast wedges

Post by Len »

I would like to replace or refurbish the skimpy wooden wedges between my mast and the partners . I've considered SPARTITE but am not convinced . Anyone have any other suggestions?

(The reason I'm looking into this after many years of ignoring these wooden bits, is the appearance of bad noises coming from the area of the partners during a storm.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Dalton

Spartite

Post by Dalton »

Len:

I pull my mast every year. Our yard allows us to rent a crane and we'll do anywhere from 8 - 18 boats in a morning. So I have seen it all. Spar tite is a great upgrade. It helps keep water out and it's nice and quiet. Anyone who has done it likes it. But boy have we had some fights between crane and Spar Tite. I've seen boats get picked up by the crane before the Spar-Tite seal brakes. Just be careful when you dam it from the inside. Make sure you don't create a "Flange or curve" that will stop the mast from coming out. And grease it up heavily with Vaseline. I still use the wedges and have made a few new ones and yes it does creak there in a blow but it works. I make an 8" wide plastic tent and tape it to the mast with white 3M electrical tape at the top and leave the bottom open around the partner.

Greg
David L

Keep it simple

Post by David L »

Len:

I had agonized about this job for weeks, worrying about Spar-Tite vs. oak vs. teak wedges and how I would make them - no one else does!

When I did the smart thing and asked at Robinhood, they said just get some pine wedges from Home Depot. I did. They sell them in packs of 24 for next to nothing. Soft wood is the way to go. And I was able to stack them to get the required thickness.

None have fallen out. The mast is quiet. The mast boot keeps the water out. And I shall pull the mast before they get the chance to rot.

Good luck.

David
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ah Yes, Keep It Simple.....

Post by Oswego John »

..... and easy on the pocketbook.

I'm with David. I've been using softwood wedges for years. I usually buy them at my neighborhood Ace Home Supply. I mostly use them for shimming window frames and door jambs.

I honestly never counted how many come in a pack. 24 sounds about right. The packs I buy have Cuñas printed on the package, not Shims or Wedges.

As David said, the price is right, somewhere between $1.00 and $1.50. They measure 8-3/4" long, 1-1/2" wide and 5/16" thick. They can be doubled or tripled up if necessary. When the spirit moves me or if the job calls for it, sometimes I slosh some Woodlife or Lumberlife type protection on them.

O J