Boat Yard Tips

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Boat Yard Tips

Post by Shipscarver »

What is the protocol on tipping the guys at the Yard?
I had a haul out, bottom job, clean up wax and buff, etc. at the local boat yard and have no idea of what the unofficial rules are.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Ops! I've never thought of it.....

Post by Gary M »

Around here sailers usually leave the yard shaking their head at the number on the bottom of the Invoice, and I don't remember anyone talking about the tip they gave the guy.

Normally I watch the boat being hauled out and then I leave, coming back after working hours.

In three or four days I come back to settle up and the bottom job is done. I have no idea which one of the many workers actually did the job, and I haven't thought of a tip.

Then again, if I had something done that took a skilled craftsman to complete and a great job was done, I would have to consider a tip.

What say the rest of you?
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Tipping the help

Post by Shipscarver »

You can tell they when the lift gang and the bottom painter were standing around with that "happy face" routine, they were expecting a tip. It's the same look you get at the parking lot of a restaurant. :D
Big E
Salem, MA

Tipping

Post by Big E »

When I dropped the boat in May, I "tipped" the guys a case of Heineken & a handle of rum--Later in the season when I needed assistance with a few maintainance projects they were all too willing to help me...lending me tools, picking me up at the mooring after the launch closed, etc... Those guys work very hard all day & probably don't get paid much. The 50 bucks I spent was cheap compared to the extra care I was given throughout the season. The bottom line in my humble opinion is to tip. It's definitely better if they remember you as someone who appreciates their service.
barfwinkle

I too

Post by barfwinkle »

just came upon this in May in Pensacola. Not too sure of what I should do, I asked the local Fleet Captain and he suggested something along the lines of Big E.

Now the topside had just be pain staking cleaned, wet sanded, rubbing compounded, and waxed (50 + hours by yours truly) and the bottom paint was nice and fresh. Those three guys did a excellent job of protecting the boat. They gave me some crap and I gave it right back.

Anyway when all was said and done I gave 'em a case of cold brews, because it was already hot in Pensacola. When I returned to haul out for the trip home they were very helpful.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Maybe it's a regional thing or boatyard by boatyard. I've never tipped the guy who puts my boat in or takes it out. I'm just nice to him and I get good service in return.

My standard converation with him each spring, at a marina that launches over 600 boats:

Me: Hi, Matt... how was winter?
Matt: Pretty good.
Me: You busy?
Matt: Pretty busy.
Me: When do you think you might get me in?
Matt: You want to be next?

No tip, but I do let him play with my dog once in a while.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Tipping

Post by moctrams »

Flag Harbor Marina in southern Md. is such a small marina and very friendly to the slip owners. I tip each employee $100.00 at Christmas time and bring down some good "micro brewery" beer on Fridays after the work is done. I've been in this marina for over 20 years and the owner/operator and his employees are like family. I don't think you will find this kind of relationship in the big "fancy" marinas.
chase

sausage

Post by chase »

I gave a couple of packs of country sausage from my farm to yard staff for hauling/pressure washing last time. They ended up including me in their regular lunch and even showed me how to glass setscrews in around the cutless. I also popped a rib out that week and paid the chiropractor in filet mignons to pop it back in. Ahh the relief! Little things go a long way...

Chase
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Tip

Post by drysuit2 »

Most of the yards I've encountered have one guy who is the "owner/manager guy", and one guy who "actually does"...or is responsible for getting the actual work done. I'll call him "Chief Worker Guy". This second guy is also the guy who is actually at the yard all winter, when the owner/manager is away on Christmas Vacation.

Invest your time at the yard. Make sure you know each of these guys. And make certain they know you, and your boat. In my yard, Freddy is the "Owner/Manager". I take the time to listen to all his stories, and laments of that season. I make it a point to ask him if there is anything I can do to make his life any easier.

The "Chief Worker Guy" is Saban. When I bring my boat in for winter storage, Saban always get's a tip, and then again after re-launching. I want him to remember me and my boat.

Remember that when you drop your baby off at the yard for storage, she is rarely hauled right away. In fact if your yard is anything like my yard; your boat is about to be shifted around like a puzzle piece in a Rubic's Cube. The yard will now attempt to fit as many boats as they can into their limited space. As well as haul them in reverse order of how they expect to launch them next season.

This is when your boat as the greatest potential to be damaged.
You will be moved from slip to slip, lifted by a crane, or travel lift; possibly have your mast un-stepped, and settled into your cradle or jack stands.

My goal is usually to be last out of the water , and first in. Most of the time I'm pretty close; and I cringe at all the boats stuck deep in the pack. Many will not get back in the water till June, regardless of whether they are "ready" or not.

Just my two cents...
Shipscarver
"SOUL MATE"

Tipping the help

Post by Shipscarver »

Going over the winterizing problems makes me very happy to be here in Tampa Bay where we pull for bottom jobs and hurricanes, (if they are coming our way and we can find available hard). But, just as up north they get used to winter pulling, we get used to hurricane season.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Being remote from my boat, I'll forward $250 in $25 gift cards to the yard around Christmas to be distributed to those who work on Quest during the year.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Michael Heintz
Location: Macht NichtsCD 30 MK IICove MarinaNorwalk, CT Woods Hole MarinaWoods Hole, Ma

yard guys

Post by Michael Heintz »

Like most of you I do something for the boys. I always drop off a 48 pack of Bud to the guys hang out room. Going in and coming out. In addition over the years I have made it a point to know all their names and to say hey every time I see them.

I spend a lot of time at the yard so I have gotten to know everyone really well. The know Macht Nichts, and although they make fun of us sailors they treat me right. I once had to have a quick haul after something underwater hit me :-). It was just after closing time,and they were havin their beers, but no problem hauling my boat to have a look see.....hmmmmm never did get a bill for that.

I also get invited to the yard parties, which are really a lot of fun!!!

As they say more bees with honey.
Michael Heintz
Captain Commanding
SV Macht Nichts
CD 30 MKII 004
Norwalk, CT
Woods Hole, MA.

http://www.heintzwasson.com
The Artist is not born to a life of pleasure.
He must not live idle;
he has hard work to perform,
and one which often proves a cross to be borne.
He must realize that his every deed, feeling, and thought
are raw but sure material from which his work is to arise,
That he is free in Art but not in life.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Not for work you're paying for...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

You pay hefty bucks to have your boat worked on at a yard. The labor rate is $80-90 per hour. Typically you don't leave any tips for work that you're paying for. BUT, if any of the yard workers do any work for you off the books, then definitely tip them. And ALWAYS use "please" and "thank you" -- they both go a long way. We have also found that they usually enjoy a case of beer. That's my 2 cents anyway.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
RonE58

Tipping the yard help....

Post by RonE58 »

I am in a fairly large Marina, and usually its the same 3 guys who haul my boat every fall and spring. I hear the owner is pretty stingy and these guys work there butts off, especially during the fall and spring. I make it a point of giving each one twenty dollars, during both seasons. For a lousy 120 bucks you will get special treatment, like having your boat placed by the electric or water spigot.
Ron
Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Tipping

Post by Larry DeMers »

I look at tipping as a reward for work or service *Beyond* what is expected of the person.

Too many people tip (or bribe?) yard workers to 'guarantee' good future service. I say that this should not be needed to get the service for which you have already paid a large amount for. It seems almost to be a way of trying to get better treatment than is dished out normally. Market forces will eliminate the marinas that do rotten work or are hard to deal with (doesn't extend to banks however..).

I bet however, if a blind comparison was made, that the quality of service is exactly the same for those that tip and those that don't.

If a guy is pleasant and accepting of all workers in the yard, reasonable in his requests and expectations, and fair in his opinions of these people, then *that* is what will be appreciated most.

That said, I have donated a 24 pack of Heineken to our yard folk occasionally, as a way of thanking them for a good year at the marina. But I did not have any expectation of better service from them next year. Only gratitude for their being there.

Larry