new engine for CD30 ketch

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

new engine for CD30 ketch

Post by Guest »

Could anybody help me again??

I asked about re-engining my boat on this forum some time ago and got some good advice. In the meantime I've been away talking to mechanics and pricing things up. The problem is the V drive gearbox is so expensive it puts the whole project out of my reach (about £1000 or $1800) more than a standard gearbox.

I have recently seen a Cape Dory 30b on yachtworld with a new Beta 14hp (2005) apparently installed the right way round without a V drive. This would solve my problem.

Has anybody any experience of engines in Cape Dory 30's without V drives??

I would appreciate any advice - thanks
Hud Smith

engine

Post by Hud Smith »

Hi Peter,
We have a cd30k, and if it needed a repower, I would look at the Yanmar 2YM15 (or 3YM20) . I don't know how it would fit, but they're good engines.
Ron M.

The CD30 B is a much different set up I believe

Post by Ron M. »

Peter,
I went through this a few years ago planning my re-power and came to this conclusion: In order to install the new engine without a v-drive the engine would have to be moved forward,(a few feet,plus) to get the angle for the shaft to line up with the shaftlog. This poses a bunch of problems,the least of which is reconfiguring the galley and companionway steps. Of course you could design a new shaftlog angle and go through the expense of that modification. I'm no expert........but I am a practical man......The work and expense involved...I could not justfy.
I used a ZF MV15 v-drive that came as part of a 'package' with the new motor.Last I checked the v-drive was a grand or so.
True...this trans is somewhat less efficient than an inline gearbox, and a bit more expensive. You need to get past that...... I am so pleased with my re-power and the boats performance I don't give it a thought any more. I even forgot about the hole it left in my pocket. Best of luck.
________
Venom
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

new engine

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the replys

Ron - may I ask what type of engine you installed?
Bruce Bett
Member # 1160

Cape Dory made Some 30s with the engine in frontwards.

Post by Bruce Bett »

Peter:

I recently purchased a 1984 CD 30, #326 with a Universal model 18 diesel. The engine is installed with the engine facing frontwards and no V-drive. I have seen a few 30s with V-drives but I didn't look closely enough to see what the difference is. The installation on the Universal appears to be fairly straight forward. If you're ever in the Detroit area I'd be happy to let you have a look at it.

Bruce