I need a portable stove for my CD22.....what to do?!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

I need a portable stove for my CD22.....what to do?!

Post by Gary M »

Hi everyone,

When your yacht is a Ty, or a Sr, or a 22 you have to go small.

When I needed a stove, I searched this site, and found a small butane stove was available. OK, that will do the job.

I stopped off at WM and found the price to be $69.95 but they only had the display in stock.

Extra canisters were $5.95 ea.

I went to Boater's World but they were not open yet.

I went to Sport Chalet and bought the same thing under a different label for $29.95 and extra canisters were $2.95.

<a href="http://tinyurl.com/4kc4wy">Sport Chalet Stove</A>

This link is to Sport Chalet and the stove looks similar but mine is black and comes with a plastic case.

Just in case there are others that are interested.

Gary
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Butane caution

Post by Duncan »

I've used those stoves in the past, and I think they are great. Someone even gave me a circular potholder that fits on top.

On the other hand, it has been pointed out to me that butane is even heavier than propane, i.e. more dangerous if it escapes.

I think the risk is (probably) trivial, but I still made a point of keeping spare canisters in a sealed plastic container in the lazarette. Might be even better to store the whole works there, just in case the valve sticks, or the can leaks somehow?
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Interesting!

Post by Gary M »

I was told by more then one source that the advantage of butane is it is lighter then air!

I'm not too worried but I bought it with that assumption!

Gary
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Well done Gary

I purchased a very similar stove six or seven years ago, while a friend bought a Kenyon "Marine" stove of the same design.

In a close side by side examination, there was little (very little) difference and my stove cost me $19.95. In fact, he returned the Kenyon and bought a stove just like mine. In my neck of the woods I pay $1.50-2.00 per canister of fuel IF I look around. Some stores will charge up to two or three times that amount.

Any yes there is that butane issue, just be very very careful. I had a Coleman propane disposable bottle "go off" on me two years ago and it was a chore to get ride of it (i.e. the butane just came spuing out). I threw it overboard until the leak was over then retrieved the canister.

Fair Winds

Bill
Bill Member #250.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Cooking

Post by bhartley »

We use the same thing on our Seasprite 23 and it works great. The canister automatically disengages when you turn it off.

I was told NOT to cook with it in confined spaces (ie. down below). I cook very successfully with the stove on the bridge deck while I stand in the cabin. Since there is no standing headroom anyway, it works great and I have extra counter space with the counter down below and the rest of the bridge deck.

I cooked many meals on one canister too!

Happy Cooking,

Bly
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Gary:

Butane is heavier than air. I believe it is approximately 2x heavier than air. It is also very flamable and explosive. Please don't ask how I know the "flamable/explosive" part. It is yet another embarrassing moment in a life filled with embarrassing moments. :(

The below website seems to be pretty accurate in its description of butane and the dangers of this gas.

http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/5668

My recommendation (realize this is from a "rookie") is to use this butane stove in the cockpit where there is a lot of ventilation.

I was looking for a small stove for S/V Tadpole several months before I came to the sad realization that I am too old, too fat and too pampered these days to be able to do overnights on my beloved Ty Weekender. :(
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: Interesting!

Post by Duncan »

Gary M wrote:I was told by more then one source that the advantage of butane is it is lighter then air!

Yeah, me too. Dunno where I got the idea, but I was wrong.

It turns out that butane gas (C4H10)is twice as heavy as air (2.01).
(Propane gas (C3H8) is only half again as heavy as air (1.5)).

Link: (Information on LPG)

Anyway, I wouldn't be alarmed, but I would protect the cans from corrosion, store them where leaks couldn't get to the bilge, and (of course) make sure there's a lot of ventilation when you cook (like up in the cockpit :D )

They are great little stoves, though, and I like them.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Thanks to all... but,

Post by Gary M »

Well, you live and you learn.

I'm not worried at all. The stove and fuel will live at home in my garage and be put on board for overnight trips.

And after all it is a 22, so I will be using it in the cockpit.

But thanks to all the good advice on this board, I know to be careful.

Thanks again, it is important to me.

Gary
Andy Denmark

Forespar Mini-Galley

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hi Gary,

I have used a Forespar Mini-Galley on every boat I've owned since the 1970's. It uses a Camping Gaz cylinder -- blue, about 4-1/2" in diameter and about the same tall. It's great for cooking soup, heating water, etc. and I've made full meals with it when out of CNG. Because it's easily removed from it's bracket it is also a good emergency stove for indoors when the power is off (read hurricanes, nor'easters, etc. when our power company -- aka "the prince of darkness" -- ceases to provide electricity (as it probably will sometime today in this latest storm).

It's a great stove when you're underway because it's fully gimballed.

Andy
________
Growing marijuana
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Mar 16th, '11, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Take a look at a backpacking / camping supplier like LL Bean or EMS. They have a great variety of portable stoves. Many use liquid fuels and some are not limited to one type of fuel.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
rtbates

Re: Interesting!

Post by rtbates »

Gary M wrote:I was told by more then one source that the advantage of butane is it is lighter then air!

Gary
Hi Gary:

Possibly you were thinking of CNG or "natural gas" which is lighter than air.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Small Stoves

Post by Sea Owl »

Camping stores are a good idea! Campmoor in NJ is VERY reasonably priced, sells on line, and will send you a nice catalog! A lot of good stuff suitable for any boat, as it is designed for backpacking/camping and generally sturdy, compact, and at Campmoor, cheaper than EMS or other big chains!

No, I don't work there. I have just used it a lot!
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Origo. . . old trusty

Post by henry hey »

I am not a great chef. Actually, I would say that I am a fairly mediocre chef save perhaps a few dishes that I have perfected. That all being said, I have been pretty happy with my one burner Origo on my CD25. My interior space is not quite as limited as a CD22 but I do have to be conservative. The Origo is so simple. Also, as many of you know, it uses everyday rubbing alcohol as fuel. It is not a particularly hot flame, but when it is well stoked you can make coffee and many other simple dishes with relative ease and speed. I like simple stuff for a boat.

My 2c

h