Gate to mainsail track is sticky

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Gate to mainsail track is sticky

Post by Joe Myerson »

When I'm lowering my main, the slides on the sail often get hung up on the gate to the mast track. Luckily this doesn't happen when I'm raising the sail, but I'm wondering if anybody has a suggestion on how I can fix the gate so the sail drops easily.

It's not a big problem, but it can be annoying.

Thanks, as always,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
barfwinkle

Same issue

Post by barfwinkle »

Joe, I have the same issue from time to time and usually a healthy shot of teflon/silicone spray helps significantly.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Examine the gate and the the surrounding mast.

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

The gate, when locked closed, should be tight fitting and inside should look to the sail slide, just like the mast track, ideally, with no noticeable transition from the mast track. You may have to do things like modify the gate lock, so it does not get forced open a little, or either add, or remove gate material, so that the slide does not hang, when going from mast to gate OR from gate back to mast track. One could be deeper than the other or could just be presenting a completely different cross section. Also look at the gap between the gate and the mast, at the top or bottom of the gate. Too large a gap and the slide could catch there.
I did a number of modifications to the gate, both on the lock and where it goes into the mast track, so the slides run smoothly thru it. I also had to modify the batten slides, as they had an I beam shape, so they would also catch on the outside of the gate.
rtbates

lube

Post by rtbates »

I lube mine every 6 months or as soon as the slugs start to stick in the gate with McLube Sailcote dry lube. I also use it on everyting that moves. Works wonders on zippers. Also lube up as high as you can in the sail track. Good Old Boat has an article on making a tool that slides up the track and carries a spray can with a line to the deck for application. Might make a nice winter project.
Randy 25D Seraph #161