The folks around Clear Lake?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tod Mills

I've never used brait but think I might experiment

Post by Tod Mills »

with it. Anyone here use the stuff?

Here's a white-paper put out by Yale Cordage:

http://www.yalecordage.com/html/pdf/anchoring_tech.pdf
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
mgphl52

Brait & splicing

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi Tod,

Thank you for bringing this up! I had never heard fo brait line line before, but after reading the PDF and a quick search at Defender, I know I have seen this stuff... somewhere. I, too, am intrigued, especially since I've been pondering the replacement of KAYLA's two anchor lines. They look fine and work well, but they have been through several storms and lots of anchoring. One of my concerns was how to splice this line to chain, but thanks to Google, I found this page showing how relatively simple the process is and here's a PDF for brait eye splicing.
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

FIREHOSE

Post by Zeida »

Erika

the package with your firehose is in the mail as of Today, Monday, to your parents' house.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

Zeida/Brait

Post by Ocean Girl »

Thanks Zeida!
Thanks to tod for the brait article-Very interesting stuff.
Erika
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/
Kent Martin
1979 CD30
Clear Lake, Texas

CD 30 Hull # 117 will be totalled due to our friend Ike

Post by Kent Martin »

Some sorry news, my CD 30, Munin, was at the Watergate on pier 13. I left her bow in on the third slip in, and she ended up halfway down the pier on top on another boat, bow out, with her bow and stern (doubled up) lines still attached. Apparently the whole pier gave way, and piled up all the boats somewhere in the middle. It really is a disaster zone for several piers in the Watergate. Cape Dory really did exhibit its famous building techniques - not a drop of green water in, but she was dismasted, the bow pulpit and bow sprit ripped off, most of the rub rail is gone, the dorade was ripped off, and major deck damage due to the pounding. Boat US has informed me she will be totaled, which is really a shame. Her bilge is dry, except for rain water from her blown hatches and holes from the ripped out mast and fittings. Munin is a great boat, and a tribute to the craftsmanship of the Cape Dory yard and the Carl Alberg's amazing design skills. She got me home in several nasty occasions, and still holds her head high.

Hoist a drink for her, and fair winds!

Kent
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

Munin

Post by Ocean Girl »

Kent,
So sorry to hear about your Munin. Please let me know if you need anything.

Erika
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hurricane Ike Devastation

Post by Oswego John »

Here are some more pictures of the devastation wrought by Hurricane Ike. It's hard to imagine this terrible destruction.

http://www.tpicks.com/pictures%20people ... %20me.html

O J