Chesapeake Bay winter storage

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

seabreeze384

Chesapeake Bay winter storage

Post by seabreeze384 »

We have spent the summer cruising north on the ICW and coastal NC and are now anticipating a fall cruise in the Chesapeake. We know there are too many places to visit and explore in 1-2 months, so we plan to store Sea Breeze on the bay this winter and then continue our cruise in the spring. We are not familiar with marinas on the bay so we would like to have some recommendations from those of you who are local to the bay. We want to have the boat hauled and blocked for the winter. I prefer a DIY yard, with good security. Moderate prices would help us reduce the drain on the cruising budget. We have no preference as to location, but it seems the western shore has better access to ground/air transportation. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We would rather take the advice of local sailors than blindly call marinas listed in the cruising guides.
Thanks for your help
Rick
Russell

Post by Russell »

Check out the various yards in Deltasville VA, its popular with DIY cruisers. I cannot recall the names of any of the yards there though.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bruce Barber
Shady Side, MD

Mid-bay marina

Post by Bruce Barber »

In the mid-bay area, western shore, a quality DIY marina is Herrington Harbor North, in Deale, MD. Not sure of "moderate" since it's been several years since I was in there. It has a West Marine on the premises. There's a HH South too, but it has no haulout facilities.
Bruce Barber
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Chesapeake Bay Boat Storage

Post by Ned Crockett »

Rick:

I live on Carters Creek, off the Rappahannock River, and 13 miles from the Bay. I have used Custom Yacht Service for some years for winter storage and yard work and highly recommend them. They have a website and their phone number is 804-438-5563. They are located in the town of Irvington which is about an hours drive to Richmond International Airport and 45 minutes to Williamsburg. The yard is well protected from storms and secure.

Best of luck in your search.

Ned
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Winter storage

Post by moctrams »

Try Flag Harbor Marina in Long Beach, Md Tel #410-586-1915.
Marina operator,s name is John Little. This is a do it yourself marina.
marilou

Southern Bay Marinas

Post by marilou »

Bell Isle Marina - Hampton, Va.
$10.00 per ft./haul, block, and back in. Strap days included. $10 per extra days
$120.00 per month storage.
Best to go in at high tide.

Wormley Creek Marina - Yorktown, Va.
Not sure of current rates, but one of the more popular yards.
Believe they have a winter storage special.
Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

Post by Dave Jeffery »

Severn Marine Services, Tilghman MD (Tilghman Island) 410 886 2159. Ask for Carl or Toni.

A real old-fashioned yard, not a fancy marina, though it has docks and a large capacity Travel Lift. Security minimal but not likely necessary. Definitely DIY. Help available.

Dave J
Rebinva

I have been in both Flag Harbor and Custom Yachts and will

Post by Rebinva »

vouch that both are good yards. Flag Harbor is the most protected, but may be hard to find space in since I thought it was a co-op marina.
Tod M

I've stopped at....

Post by Tod M »

Spring Cove Marina several times and like the place. It is located at the mouth of the Patuxent on the western shore:

http://www.springcovemarina.com/

Trevor Richards is the manager, I believe.

They do allow DIY, but I'm not sure the other fees would be the cheapest. It is a nice place, though, and there is a West Marine a short walk away for last minute needs (personally, I'd do planned purchases someplace cheaper, though).

[img]http://www.htmills.com/images/LF-SpringCoveMarina.jpg[/img]
Patrick Harrison
Location: CD 30MKII, "Alatna" Hull #27, CD 10 Hull #628, Raymond,N.H.

Custom Yacht Service

Post by Patrick Harrison »

When I purchased my boat it was kept in Irvington,VA at Custom Yacht Service by the previous owner. I wasn't able to sail her home late in the year so I kept her where she was used to being. John Friday is the contact and is a member here as well and understands the CD's and knows them as well. They have a knowlegable staff and will provide all services.
If I am lucky enough to make it down that way and need service or storage I would make my plans there.
"Speak softly and carey a big stick, you will go far" Theodore Roosevelt
Rebinva

At one time, John lived on a CD 28

Post by Rebinva »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dixon Hemphill

Chesapeake Bay Winter Storage

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

I've been very satisfied with the Whitehall Yacht Yard in the Annapolis area. It's located by auto just off Route 50 two miles west of the Bay Bridge. By water it's about one mile north of Whitehall Bay on Whitehall Creek. A safe location in case of bad weather.

Hinkley provides full service there but DIY is allowed. Harbor master is John White 410 757 4819. Winter storage rates are competitive.

Any questions call me at 703 250 9277 Dixon Hemphill
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Wormley Creek at Yorktown

Post by Michael Abramson »

I second Marilou's recommendation. Wormley Creek is a small but full service yard and marina, and the owner Doug lives on site, and can see the boats from his deck. I have had my boat there many years, and I have heard of no security issues. The chandlery had the Trindad paint I use for MUCH less than West Marine, and can rent you a sander/vacuum for bottom jobs. Free pump outs. Good protection in the event of a storm. Easy access to I-64 for driving north or south. I don't know the rates for temporary visits, but call 757 898 5060 and they can tell you.

I have no incentive, I'm just a satisfied slipholder.

Michael
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Hanna update to above

Post by Michael Abramson »

I just drove to Wormley Creek to check my boat. Hanna has turned out to be a pretty minor event here, but one never knows what to expect. I was happily surprised to find that all sailboats in slips with covers over their main sails had been spiral-wrapped by the marina staff using a strapping tape. No fanfare, no notice, they just did this on their own volition.
Kittiwake

Coan River Marina

Post by Kittiwake »

You can also consider the Coan River Marina. About 6 nm up the Potomac on the VA side, closest towns are Lottsburg, Callao, Heathsville. The haul-out rates were real reasonable (3 hr hang and pressure wash < $6/ft). Think that it's also DIY yard, but know that rates are real reasonable.
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
Bill Watson