Lavac Heads in CD36 and similar

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Lavac Heads in CD36 and similar

Post by Bill Cochrane »

To avoid hijacking Troy's thread, I'll ask this separately...I noticed Lee's mention of having installed a Lavac in a CD36. (Phoenix has the original layout with the smaller head and the mast in the saloon.)

For Lee (tmsc) and anyone else who has done this...do you have pictures of the installation that you'd be willing to share? I think it's going to be quite a display of plumbing, with the hoses, bulkhead pump and a Y-valve on the aft bulkhead...with very little room for the sittee's back!

To retain the Y valve and the option of direct overboard discharge, I want to route the hose so that it's constantly sloping down from the loop following the pump...a feature that is not present with the factory install...there's a run of a foot or two where the hose lays along the hull before looping upward again. I don't see a way to get a downslope to the thru-hull and the pipe to the holding tank without mounting the Y valve on the bulkhead, along with the pump.

Very interested to see how others have done with the Lavac install.
tmsc

Post by tmsc »

Hey Bill,

I guess that I should have stated it, but we installed ours on a 33 not a 36.

I just wanted to recommend the Lavac because we've had good luck with it. We have had just about every brand at one time or another, and they were okay most of the time, but when the kids came along that all changed. I have gotten so tired of rebuilding heads, and the Lavac seems to have solved the problem. Having to take the Groco apart for a second time in the same week that it was rebuilt, was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Yes, the plumbing is a pain and it would be very hard to make the plumbing look pleasing. In our situation though we had gotten to the point were looks were not real high on the list.
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee