Texas marinas

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Texas marinas

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 1977 CD30 Ketch. We live near Fort Worth Texas and the boat is at a marina in Mississippi. We like the marina but are looking to find a marina on the Gulf Coast of Texas. We looked at a few in Kemah but we were hopping to find a place not so crowded. Maybe a mom and pop marina somewhere. Also we would like opinions on sailing in Galveston bay and Corpus. We are new too sailing and excited.

Kevin
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Here are a couple links to some marinas in Texas:

marinas.com: http://marinas.com/browse/marina/US/TX/

Marina Association of Texas: http://www.marinaassociationoftexas.com ... ostera.htm

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
David L

Corpus Christi, TX

Post by David L »

Kevin:

My wife and I have just relocated our CD36, Raven, to Corpus Christi City Marina from Kemah. We are just back from two years' cruising and couldn't handle the crowds, traffic, and pollution in the Houston area.

We love Corpus. It is very laid back. Rush hour is non-existent. The City marina's docks and facilities are first class. The Bay is excellent for sailing, being roughly four feet deeper than Galveston Bay and seemingly as big. CC is one of the windiest cities in the USA. It is nearly always bowing from the Gulf and is soft and clean.

Hope this helps.

David
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

CC marina

Great to hear. We are going to look at a marina on the Matagorda Bay tomorrow but did see the marina you are at on the internet. We might just look at it also. The CD30K we are buying is near Gulf Port the curent owner does not have insurance on it and I cant get insurance on it until I own it so we are on pins and needles with Gustav. Yikes.

Kevin
Tod Mills

this guy lives in Magnolia Beach...

Post by Tod Mills »

and keeps his boat at one of the marinas nearby. I hear there is a waiting list. He can fill you in (click on send e-mail)

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/tra ... ead/652750
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Troy Scott

Seriously folks,

Post by Troy Scott »

Kevin,

if you want that boat, and if the present owner wants to have a boat to sell, you guys need to get aboard and go East ASAP. Mobile would be better, but not much unless you go way up the river. You'd be better off getting in the ICW and going as far east as you can get. You only have Sunday to do this.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Kevin Kaldenbach

Moving the boat

Sadly we do not own her yet. We were to pay it off on the 2nd but with the storm coming that wont happen either. The owner took her into a bay and will add more anchors today. We are on pins and needles but it is out of our control.
Troy Scott

hope in Gulfport?

Post by Troy Scott »

Kevin,

I now have reason to hope that the CD30 in Gulfport will survive. I've been watching closely. The storm surge is less than expected in Gulfport, and they have had so far only category 1 winds there. If the boat was moved away from the beach area she may actually be OK. I'm not there, but I feel the need to say something positive. We just tried to call some friends in Ocean Springs but apparently the phones are down. In the old days, the phones were the last to go. Nowadays, the phones go out early in the game.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Kevin Kaldenbach

Hope

Thanks for the ray of sunshine. I guess we will know soon enough if we have a boat. We are leaving tomorrow to driving to Long Island NY to visit our son at the Merchant Marine Academy. Afterwards we plan to do directly to Mississippi to take possession of the boat. We plan to spend a few days doing some repairs then sail her to her new home in Palacios Texas. Or not.

Kevin
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

palacios

Post by Ocean Girl »

You will love Palacios. My parents, after sailing around the world, settled down in palacios. There is also a 36 cape dory with new owners Pam and Steve aboard at serendipity marina. Nice people who'd be glad to show you around. the nearest west marine is an hour away though.
Thank God Gustav was not as bad as we feared.
Erika
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/
Troy Scott

Long Island to Gulfport

Post by Troy Scott »

Kevin,

You sound like busy folks, so you probably won't have time to stop by for a visit on your way from Long Island to Gulfport. But maybe you would! Stop by and see a CD36 in a thousand pieces.
Regards,
Troy Scott
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

Hope all is well with your new boat. We own CD30K #112 and we love her. If you have half as much fun as we do with our boat she will become like a member of your family.

Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
P.S. We dodged he bullet by running up the Mobile River.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
Kevin Kaldenbach

Gustav

Yahoo.. We were just told our boat survived Gustav. Thanks to all who showed concern.

Troy, where are you? We would not mind checking out your CD36

Mark, if you guys are around we would like to get together and pick your brains about owning a CD30K. We are new to sailing and could use some advice.

We will be in the Gulf Port area on the 9th for a few days making her ready to sail to Texas.
Troy Scott

CD36 in Laurel, MS

Post by Troy Scott »

Kevin,

I'm in Laurel, Mississippi, about 80 miles north of Gulfport. Contact me and we'll make plans! I'd love to see the CD30.
Regards,
Troy Scott