Quick Sikkens / Cetol question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Woody

Quick Sikkens / Cetol question

Post by Woody »

I need to redo my toe rail as some of the coverage is giving way. Do I need to sand down to bare wood again or can I just use a green or red scuff pad to rough up and recover? Thanks, Woody
Ed Haley

Cetol touchup

Post by Ed Haley »

Depends. If your toerail has lost it's previous cetol coatings and is down to the bare wood, you have to treat the exposed teak as if it had never been coated at all. Sand the spots with 100 grit, vacuum, bleach the spot, dry with an acetone-damp cloth (try not to touch adjoining cetol), lightly sand again with 100 grit, use a tack cloth to remove all fine dust and then apply your first coat. After 3 coats, do the entire toerail.

If you merely need to restore the coatings or just add a coat or two, the use a green scotchbrite pad over the whole toerail, use the tack cloth and apply cetol.
Woody

Thanks

Post by Woody »

Thanks Ed................
Carl Thunberg

Rule of Thumb

Post by Carl Thunberg »

It took me a while to catch up to this thread. Adding to what Ed said, as a general rule of thumb, if the finish you are about to apply is expected to have a longer life than the finish you're putting it ON, then you need to sand/bleach down to bare wood again. This applies to all finishes, except maybe teak oil. It's not unique to Cetol.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton