no paddle wheel speed transducer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Ring

NKE

Post by John Ring »

It looks like NKE is also offering one. Or, is it just NKE selling the Airmar? It's hard to tell these days. If we have more than one player in the market, the prices will come down eventually.

Link: http://www.nke.fr/prod.php?idprod=3833978&rs=cv&lang=1

Cheers,
John Ring
CD28 Tantalus
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Troy Scott

NKE or Airmar?

Post by Troy Scott »

That looks like the Airmar unit to me, but I can't be sure. The caption begins "Compatible Ultrasonic spedo sensor". I wonder if the French have developed a new way to detect when old guys are wearing inappropriate swimwear.

The nicest thing about this type of sender is that you can just paint it with transducer antifouling paint and eliminate the tiresome and repetitive chore of removing the paddlewheel sender when leaving the boat. Just one less worry. Like no longer worrying about the water level in my batteries.....

No if I can just find permanent varnish......
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

Has anyone yet tried

Post by Troy Scott »

one of these ultrasonic transducers to replace the paddle wheel on the knotmeter? NKE is actively advertising their's now, and they claim to have a "universal" version: www.nke.fr

It's very interesting, but at over $1,900 to make the swap, it's probably going to be a "for racers only" thing for a while. I doubt they'll be advertising in Good Old Boat.....
Regards,
Troy Scott
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: no paddle wheel speed transducer

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I have been searching the board for information about different types of "paddle wheel" type knotmeters.

During my last time bottom cleaning S/V Bali Ha'i before haulout I noticed an unusual amount of growth, barnacles, etc. on the prop and paddle wheel. I was able to remove most of the paddle wheel growth but there was still some left that limited it's ability to rotate.

After haulout I cleaned the paddle wheels thoroughly and then thought to research this board. I learned that at least some types of paddle wheels can be removed from their housing. I tried doing this with mine but was unsuccessful. I do not know the make or mfg. at this time. The prior caretaker of S/V Bali Ha'i kept almost every piece of literature, etc. on parts, etc. I am going through it all but have not yet located the literature on the paddle wheel knotmeter yet.

I can offer the following:

It is black and has a screw on/off cap that is little more than a large soda bottle cap albeit 2" in diameter. I was surprised at this and have added a wood plug to the bilge should this "cap" fail. The cap has a metal ring as well as a drilled hole into which a pin is inserted with holes in the pin for stopper rings.

The paddle wheels (I believe 5 in number) appear to be a type of plastic (non-metallic). The "thru hull" into which the paddle wheel is placed has two "lips" that appear to orient "top" and "bottom".

Sorry I cannot offer more descriptive information.

My question is this: I was unsuccessful in removing the paddle wheel unit from the housing. I easily removed the cap and then tried to lift out the paddle wheel. It would not come out. I tried from different angles - all without success.

Is there a special procedure for removing the paddle wheel :?:

If someone recognizes the mfg. and model of my paddle wheel/knotmeter is this model one that does not allow removal of the paddle wheel separate from the housing :?:

Any thoughts, information, etc. will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil