fresh water tank selector valves

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

five port fuel selector as water tank selector

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

What about this five port fuel selector as a water tank selector:

http://www.conbraco.com/_products/78-12 ... 78-124.pdf

I've emailed the manufacturer to learn if there is some reason why this shouldn't be done. I'll post his response.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Russell

Re: five port fuel selector as water tank selector

Post by Russell »

Troy Scott wrote:Folks,

What about this five port fuel selector as a water tank selector:

http://www.conbraco.com/_products/78-12 ... 78-124.pdf

I've emailed the manufacturer to learn if there is some reason why this shouldn't be done. I'll post his response.
I do not see how you could mount such a beast, since every side of it has a port except the top which is the handle. Since your plumbing would have to come from every direction, I dont think it would end up being a very tidy install.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I've tried various types of these manifolds over the years for garden purposes and find they always leak a bit.........granted, they are under household supply pressure. It would be fairly simple to cob something up with better valves out of pvc or copper tubing. I believe 1/2" vinyl tubing will slide over 1/2" copper.
________
Nash ambassador specifications
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

OFF?? Is there an off position?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

OFF?? Is there an off position? Is it also possible that there could be two tanks connected at once if the lever wasn't positioned carefully?
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Troy Scott

Post by Troy Scott »

Ken,

I would be very surprised if there weren't an OFF position. That's pretty standard for fuel selectors. The five port fuel selector looks like an airplane part to me, but I never came across it in aviation. The garden hose gadget would probably work, but I really just suggested it for fun. It IS funny looking, you'll have to admit. I do like the fuel selector, though. I think I could make that nice. But, as with Jeff and others, there are certainly more important things I need to tend to.
Regards,
Troy Scott