New engine for CD30 ketch 1976

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

New engine for CD30 ketch 1976

Post by Guest »

Hello - I am just new to this forum

Could anybody advise me on a suitable new engine to replace my old Yanmar, especially because the V/Z drive installation plus the angle of installation are causing me a headache.

I would appreciate anybody's advice - thanks
darmoose
Mystic Rose

repower

Post by darmoose »

i have a 79 cd30k that had a md7a volvo with a v drive. i replaced it with a volvo d1-20 18hp and new v drive. it works great, the extra hp is very welcome.

i know of several others who have installed this motor also. i recommend it.

darrell :)
Ben Thomas

repower

Post by Ben Thomas »

Peter, Check out the Beta. Many successful repowers in CDs including Ketchs. Beta 16 or 20 would be ideal engine. Maintenance Parts are a lot less expensive.

http://www.winton.ch/

Best regards, Ben

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the advice. With the V drive the engine is back to front so all the servicable parts - impeller etc are tucked away under the cockpit and you have to be a contortionist to access anything (in my old Yanmar anyway). Do you find the Volvo easy to service?? and did the engine beds need any adjusting??
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I also re-powered with a D1-20 last year and did the job myself. The engine stringers needed some minor adjustments. I had a YSB 12 originally. I padded the forward mounts up 3/4" and cut the rear mounts down about the same. I replaced the entire drive train and I'm pleased with the improved performance. Yes, you have to contort yourself somewhat to service the impeller, but I don't find it too bad. It gives me the opportunity to inspect the dripless shaft seal and steering equipment.
You have little choice about the v-drive short of moving the engine forward into the galley area about a foot or so.I had reconfigured the area behind the companionway steps to the bulkhead in anticipation of this by installing a removable section of shelf/counter over the engine compartment. This is a big help in access to the motor/.
________
COLORADO DISPENSARY
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

new engine

Post by Guest »

Ron - thanks for that. Just a query - what was the main reason for changing up from the yanmar. Had the engine had it or was it just a case of wanting more power?
Bob Emmons

Post by Bob Emmons »

Hi Peter,
I repowered my CD30 5 years ago with a Yanmar 2GMFV. My old Volvo MD7A was getting tired and not reaching the proper RPM. After Cleaning the volvo injectors and doing some basic analysis, I realized that it would be either a rebuild on the Volvo or a new engine. I chose the latter because of availability of parts worldwide for a Yanmar, the price, and the great reputation. After crusing the Northeast coast of US waters for 5 years now, I am very happy with the engine. Of course, a new bed had to be made for the smaller Yanmar, but I chose to let a professional do this job along with the installation. Good luck!
Bob
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Peter,
Although the YSB12 ran well and sipped fuel it was 30 years old. My foremost reason to upgrade was it was under powered for a vessel this size and displacement. In this area of Cape Cod the waters are subject to powerful currents that often pushed the boat to it's limits, or at least it felt that way. It was also a shake machine......vibrated something awful with it's single cylinder. I sold the old Yanmar for a more than expected price.
I know a dealer who gave me a good price on the 3 cyl. d1-20 (much smoother running) and it fit with limited adjustment to my stringers. it also comes with a stock 115 amp alt. which is a charging bonus.
As I said, the new drive system is a huge improvement, smooth and quiet - it cruises to hull speed in moderate conditions with little effort.
Not to push the engine I have, I think any 3 cylinder engine in the 20 hp range will give similar results.
________
Vapor genie
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

new engine

Post by Guest »

Many thanks for everybody's input. Time for me to go away, have a think and count out the money!
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

Peter
We sent you a PM.
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112

pm

Post by Guest »

sorry Mark and Anna - I don't seem to be able to access a 'pm'. My inbox says I have no private messages.