Typhoon Genoa track

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dugout

Typhoon Genoa track

Post by dugout »

I'm in the process of restoring a TY Weekender and I need some opinions.
Can someone tell me where the track belongs on the toe rail as measured from the transom? This boat had track sections added, two on each side, which confuses where it belongs.

Next, does anyone see an issue with going to 1" track. The 3/4" is a bastard size and limits options. Since the entire toe rail is getting replaced, I'm considering milling it 1.125" wide. In the areas of the genoa track I'm thinking about tapering, fore and aft, out to 2.125" wide for the genoa track to set inboard of the stock position. I may just sister the toe rail in the same form, for the track but that introduces a joint that could be troublesome in the long run.

Any opinions are appreciated. :wink:

Ed
dugout

Re: Typhoon Genoa track

Post by dugout »

dugout wrote: Can someone tell me where the track belongs on the toe rail as measured from the transom? This boat had track sections added, two on each side, which confuses where it belongs.
Ed

I didn't think this was a difficult question but after 78 views no one has responded so maybe it's more involved than I think?

Ed
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I hope to be aboard S/V Tadpole tomorrow and will try to remember to measure. I say "try to remember" because these days it is sometimes an effort to remember my name :(
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: Typhoon Genoa track

Post by RIKanaka »

dugout wrote: Can someone tell me where the track belongs on the toe rail as measured from the transom? This boat had track sections added, two on each side, which confuses where it belongs.

Ed
The aft end of the 24" x 3/4" genoa tracks are 40" from the transom on my Typhoon.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Ed:

OK, here are the measurements.

From the most aft end of the taffrail on the port side, the actual Genoa track begins at 40 1/2 inches. There is a 1/2 inch "V" shaped end butt on each end of the track. The actual track itself is 22 3/8 inches.

The above measurements are identical for port and starboard tracks

The prior owner of S/V Tadpole built new rub rails and toe rails for Tadpole following a hurricane. He is a true Cape Dory lover and somewhat of a stickler for details. I am confident he measured down to 1/16" of an inch before installing the Genoa tracks on the new toe rails.

Hope this helps.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
dugout

Genoa Track

Post by dugout »

Thanks Guys, That's what I needed and a big help! It looks like the toe rail drain holes bracket the track position. :D

Ed
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Wider Track

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Ed:
I agree with your thoughts about upgrading to wider track. You'll have vastly more options for attachments. A good idea.
Good Luck!
Tony Jeske