Boomkicker?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

Boomkicker?

Post by Dave Jeffery »

Anyone install and use a "Boomkicker" and with what results? I checked the archive and sent one pm, but received no reply.

An overpriced gadget or something really worthwhile that makes mainsail control easier, safer, and overall better?
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I put one in my CD27 some years ago. Its great for holding up the boom (obviously) and it also allowed me to get rid of one pesky line, the topping lift.

I can reef without having to set the topping lift (now gone) to hold up the boom. 'Tis nice.

One drawback, at least in my set up, is that it can be difficult to tension the boom vang against the force of those two boomkicker rods. But that may be my fault rather than the gear's.

You might be able to see the boomkicker installed above the boom vang in the picture below. Its slightly arched. Notice no topping lift to the end of the boom!

"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
wlcoll42

Boom Kicker

Post by wlcoll42 »

I added one to my CD30MKII about four ago. Works Ok. As previously stated, elimimates the need for the topping lift. Make sure you add enough tension rods. Look for a used one on e-bay. I got mine for ~ 50%.
Bill Collins & Dr. Deanna Klosinski
"Finally"
Cape Dory 30MKII
Petoskey,MI