Preferred Typhoon years?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

LangSmith

Preferred Typhoon years?

Post by LangSmith »

Hi all, I miss sailing and am hoping to return by rescuing and restoring a Typhoon, which I have admired for years. This site has been great for researching tons of issues using the search function, but I still have a few questions about which Typhoon Weekender to look for. The last boat I sailed was a 1976 Oday 25, and after buying it and meeting other 25 owners I learned that through the years various changes were made that really improved livability, or safety, etc. For that reason the later-manufactured boats were highly preferred.

So, I’d like to figure that out before I find my Typhoon. I have read on this forum about differences with the very early models, such as keel-stepped masts, more teak, mast supports added inside the cabin, etc. Beyond these early differences, are their advantages to the 1980s models vs the 1970s models? Is there a certain year, or number of years that are considered the cherries? I’m not sure I’d be able to turn down a deal if it wasn’t the particular year I was looking for (sort of like looking at puppies), but it would be great info to have.
Dave H

79 and 80 Typhoons

Post by Dave H »

Hi Lang,
It seems to me that there were two problems with Typhoons. One is the closure of the lazarettes, and the other was compression of the side decks and cabin top.
The closure of the lazarettes was corrected in 79, and the side decks were reinforced in 80. Obviously, the pre 79 Typhoons are wonderful boats. There are solutions to both of these problems such as bungee cords inside the lazarette covers and compression posts in the cabins. But I consider the 80s Typhoons to be the best.
Was 1980 a good year in general for Cape Dory boats? Is that the year that CD 25s got bronze portlights?
Dave
LangSmith

Thanks Dave

Post by LangSmith »

That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to hear.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have a 1978 that has large bolted in reinforcing knees to support the cabin top. These are definitely factory installed and may be the same modification as the 1979 and 80 boats. It definitely beefs things up and the boat has no need for a compression post. The covers are still loose.

These are nice modifications. I would still rather have any year boat in really fine condition verses a certain year that was not as nice, Steve.
ronkberg

Lang, I sent you a PM.

Post by ronkberg »

n/m
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine