Water tank liner for CD25?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mathias

Water tank liner for CD25?

Post by Mathias »

I looked inside my water tank in the foreberth and don't like the idea of drinking water out of that. So, I would like to line it with a bladder that I could squeeze throught the 4-inch access hole. If that doesn't work, the only solution that I can think of, is to cut open the top of the tank, re-glass it and then somehow re-seal the tank. Seems crazy. I would rather go with a bladder. Has anybody done this? Any creative ideas? Can I get a custom bladder made?

mdubilier@aol.com
Jeff Funston

Re: Water tank liner for CD25?

Post by Jeff Funston »

Clean it, replace it or just do like some of us others and use it for things other than drinking and carry bottled water. Several folks have replaced theirs but if its not cracked I would just pour in some cleaner with about 1/4 tanks of water and go out for a sail some windy day. Follow with a little scrubbing and fresh water flush. If you are really worried about the water purity install a filter on the sink.

jfunstomNoham@bellatlantic.net
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

Mathias,

The V berth is a long way from the sink on a CD25. You could put a new smaller water tank right under the sink below the port bunk. This would free the space up front for a large holding tank up forward where the head is.

If your CD25 is a 1977 or later it probably has a plastic tank you could remove and replace easily(#B486 from Roncoplastics.com?). If it'a an earlier CD25 model year, the tank is probably glassed into the hull. It may be suitable for holding as is, or it may have to be cut out to make way for a good polethylene tank.

You have lots of options.

Best,
John Ring
CD28 Tantalus

CD28 Tantalus
Eric

Post by Eric »

Mine cracked 4 years ago and I bought a bladder replacement. I still have not put it in, however, as I realized I don't really need it. I carry bottled water aboard.
Mathias wrote: I looked inside my water tank in the foreberth and don't like the idea of drinking water out of that. So, I would like to line it with a bladder that I could squeeze throught the 4-inch access hole. If that doesn't work, the only solution that I can think of, is to cut open the top of the tank, re-glass it and then somehow re-seal the tank. Seems crazy. I would rather go with a bladder. Has anybody done this? Any creative ideas? Can I get a custom bladder made?
Bruce Bett

Post by Bruce Bett »

Mathias:

I think John is on to the problem. Some of the CD 25s had a polyethylene tank in the bow. In others the tank consisted of a tub molded into the hull liner with the plywood base of the vee berth forming the top of the tank. The plywood can be removed. It is screwed on around the edges. It is difficult to work it out of the cramped forward cabin, but this too can be done. If you remove the plywood you can scrub the tank good and this may be all you want to do. I prefer to use a polyethylene tank. My boat came with one but I had to replace it a few years ago. The original was made by Kracor. I got a replacement tank from them. It was not identical but close enough. When CD put in the polyethylene tanks they cut away the liners and set the tanks in against the hull. Here's a link to Kracor.

http://www.kracor.com/

Bruce Bett
Sostenuto
CD 25 #496

Mathias wrote: I looked inside my water tank in the foreberth and don't like the idea of drinking water out of that. So, I would like to line it with a bladder that I could squeeze throught the 4-inch access hole. If that doesn't work, the only solution that I can think of, is to cut open the top of the tank, re-glass it and then somehow re-seal the tank. Seems crazy. I would rather go with a bladder. Has anybody done this? Any creative ideas? Can I get a custom bladder made?

bettb@macomb.edu
Mathias

Excellent reference. Thank you.

Post by Mathias »

Bruce,
Thank you for the excellent reference below. With that link, I might even have the courage to do it right. My foreberth does not have a plywood cover over the tank, just a four-inch access hole. But if I can get a pre-fab tank from Kracor, then I will cut open the well, insert a new tank and put a wood cover over the well. Thank you.
-Mathias
CD25 #332
Lake Champlain

Bruce Bett wrote: Mathias:

I think John is on to the problem. Some of the CD 25s had a polyethylene tank in the bow. In others the tank consisted of a tub molded into the hull liner with the plywood base of the vee berth forming the top of the tank. The plywood can be removed. It is screwed on around the edges. It is difficult to work it out of the cramped forward cabin, but this too can be done. If you remove the plywood you can scrub the tank good and this may be all you want to do. I prefer to use a polyethylene tank. My boat came with one but I had to replace it a few years ago. The original was made by Kracor. I got a replacement tank from them. It was not identical but close enough. When CD put in the polyethylene tanks they cut away the liners and set the tanks in against the hull. Here's a link to Kracor.

http://www.kracor.com/

Bruce Bett
Sostenuto
CD 25 #496

mdubilier@aol.com
cscheck

Drinking water filter

Post by cscheck »

I just want to replace the old PAR inline filter that is in the supply line to the electric domestic water pump. I looked at models from Shurflo, Racor and Groco. I dont even know if I need a cartridge type filter ... I might even be satisfied with a s/s screen type filter. Anybody have any suggestions. I would like an inline filter with a jar that's easy to remove and replace and a cleanable screen, or a low priced cartridge. Thanks.
Chris Scheck
Ragtime
CD33 #117
Newport RI
Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

CD 25 water tank

Post by Tom Foley »

I have a 1974 and the water tank does not leak. I fill it each year for weight forward and use it for cleaning the boat. I put a gallon of potable anti-freeze in each year and pump it dry in the spring. Then I fill it with clean water and use for cleaning the boat but not drinking. We just day sail and use bottled water. but not Poland Spring aka Nestle which is evil and wants to take all the water and sell it.
mahalocd36

Star Brite Aqua Clean

Post by mahalocd36 »

Mahalo's tanks were rather gross. Star Brite Aqua Clean worked wonders. The instructions say to add it and fill the tank and take the boat out for a sail to stir it up. Since we had the boat on land we just let it sit for a few days. We don't usually drink the water from the tanks but I would if I was thirsty enough, I have used it for cooking. It's worth a try and is much easier than major surgery! We now use Aqua Clear each spring after draining the antifreeze. We do add a small amount of chlorine bleach when we fill the tanks.

http://www.starbrite.com/productdetail. ... ductSSCat=
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Harry

Post by Harry »

When I bought Tempest (1976 CD25) last year she came with a polyethelene tank with about 5 gal of brownish, slimey water that I think dated back to the day she was built. As far as I was concerned, it was beyond salvage. So I tore it out, along with all of the plumbing and the cheesy foot pump, and replaced the whole setup with a Plastimo triangular 31 gal bladder, fresh hoses, and a Shurflo electric pump. Off the pressure side of the pump I ran a 15 foot hose with a spray nozzle, which tucks in nicely next to the galley sink but can stretch into the cockpit. The first time I used it was after I got a nasty nettle sting while scraping my hulll and I was able to wash down with fresh water and apply some baking soda -- invaluable. Last month I did a five day trip up the ICW and the system worked great -- I showered off each night, did dishes, washed down anchor mud, made coffee, you name it. Plus the 31 gal of weight forward helped balance the helm nicely. Total cost was about $350 and maybe three hours of easly labor. I highly recommend this approach.
-Harry
Jay B.
Location: Cape Dory 25 s/v little Ebby Rose Haven, MD. (sadly sold)

CD25 water tank

Post by Jay B. »

Harry wrote:When I bought Tempest (1976 CD25) last year she came with a polyethelene tank with about 5 gal of brownish, slimey water that I think dated back to the day she was built. As far as I was concerned, it was beyond salvage. So I tore it out, along with all of the plumbing and the cheesy foot pump, and replaced the whole setup with a Plastimo triangular 31 gal bladder, fresh hoses, and a Shurflo electric pump. Off the pressure side of the pump I ran a 15 foot hose with a spray nozzle, which tucks in nicely next to the galley sink but can stretch into the cockpit. The first time I used it was after I got a nasty nettle sting while scraping my hulll and I was able to wash down with fresh water and apply some baking soda -- invaluable. Last month I did a five day trip up the ICW and the system worked great -- I showered off each night, did dishes, washed down anchor mud, made coffee, you name it. Plus the 31 gal of weight forward helped balance the helm nicely. Total cost was about $350 and maybe three hours of easly labor. I highly recommend this approach.
-Harry
I am interested in this fix for my leaky water tank. Is Harry still around to shed some more light on the installation?
CDSOA Member Number 1252