Fresh Water Cooling

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JWSutcliffe

Fresh Water Cooling

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Has anyone converted a raw water cooled Volvo MD7A to FWC? Is there room in a CD30 to do this?
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Probably no benefit

Post by Michael Abramson »

An engine that has been fresh water cooled from new would benefit from having had a proper antifreeze with rust inhibitors circulating in it. However, any raw water MD7A will have had salt in it and on-going corrosion for 30+ years, and adding FWC now will not offset that. I have even heard that converting to fresh water will dissolve deposits in a raw water cooled block that could lead to leaks etc, but this may be myth.

I think the original European manufacturer of the Volvo kits still makes them and I have seen a couple over the years on eBay UK. New they are about $1500, but one could probably home-engineer something using a commercial heat exchanger for less. I thought about it for my boat but for the cost I can buy a spare used engine.

If you don't get any answers here, there are some marine diesel boards that may be able to help.

Michael
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Easier just to fresh water rinse

Post by sgbernd »

I considered the same thing. However, I settled on just fresh water rinsing after each time I put the boat away. You can easily rig a valve and a T into the inlet, close the seacock and let it pump as much fresh water as you think prudent.
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

My MD7A has the optional fresh water cooling. I've never heard of the European kit Michael mentions, but that is not what Cape Dory used. The Cape Dory installation consists of a heat exchanger (Sendure), a simple pump (Jabsco), two pulleys and a v-belt (generic), a crude mounting bracket (custom) and some hose (generic). Last I knew, Sendure was still in business in Florida so it should be fairly easy to duplicate this setup and there should be plenty of room to do it on a CD30 where the front of the engine faces aft.

Having said that, I tend to agree with Michael that if your engine has had salt water coursing through its veins for the last 25-30 years, it's probably not worth the money or the effort to change now.
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi JW,

Try: Sen-Dure Products Inc; http://www.sen-dure.com/, 6785 N.W. 17th Ave, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309, sen-dure@att.net,
954-973-1260, 800-394-5112. Defender may carry their products; 800-628-8225.

But as above, its worth may depend on how long the engine has been in salt.

Good luck.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
JWSutcliffe

FWC

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Thank you all for the replies. While the engine is apparently a replacement and not as old as the boat (27 years), I really didnt expect to improve engine life with FWC. My primary interest was in getting hot water away from the dock.

Only got this boat a week ago, after 30 years of admiring Cape Dorys. I guess I will just live with cold water for this season.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: FWC

Post by Neil Gordon »

JWSutcliffe wrote:Only got this boat a week ago, ...
I'd live with the boat for a while before adding all the comforts of home. Start listing wants and needs so that you can prioritize where you spend your time and your boat bucks. Don't forget to leave some time and money for sailing, too.

I've had LIQUIDITY for more than 10 years and she remains a basic boat. No hot water, no pressurized water, no AC current, no air conditioning, no flat screen TV, no stereo, no washer/dryer, no microwave, no fridge/freezer. Many of those are items that at one time or another are the subject of threads that starts, "My ______ doesn't work! The season is half over and _____________."
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Bill Goldsmith

Simple Hot Water Solution

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

If you are simply looking for hot water, then consider a Sun-Shower. It REALLY works. I usually tie it down on deck between the teak handrails, and by late afternoon the water is hot enough for showers, dishwashing, etc.Image
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Neil Gordon wrote:
JWSutcliffe wrote:Only got this boat a week ago, ...

No hot water, no pressurized water, no AC current, no air conditioning, no flat screen TV, no stereo, no washer/dryer, no microwave, no fridge/freezer. "
Neil, glad you didn't say "no beer". That would translate in to "no crew" for sure.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Simple Hot Water Solution

Post by Neil Gordon »

Bill Goldsmith wrote:If you are simply looking for hot water, then consider a Sun-Shower. It REALLY works. I usually tie it down on deck between the teak handrails, and by late afternoon the water is hot enough for showers, dishwashing, etc.Image
It holds more water and lasts longer than you think, too.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:Neil, glad you didn't say "no beer". That would translate in to "no crew" for sure.
Joe,

That's never a problem. You might have to drink it at bilge temperature, but beer is available. Single malt, too, is always on board.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
JWSutcliffe

Creature Comforts

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Neil:

Not all the comforts of home - just the bare minimum that my spouse/crew/boat-fund-provider is looking for. We have a solar shower already, its functional but limited for 2 persons needs.

But you are all correct - I didnt buy this boat as a second home, I bought it first and foremost to sail. After having gone over to the dark side for 10 years with a powerboat, I am thrilled to be back on a sail boat, especially one as capable as this.
Neil Gordon

Re: Creature Comforts

Post by Neil Gordon »

JWSutcliffe wrote:We have a solar shower already, its functional but limited for 2 persons needs.
How about his and hers solar showers? That might eliminate the limit.

I'm really not suggesting that you not add comforts and modifications. It's just that I'd live with the boat for a while and see how you adapt over time. Your priorities might change.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698