Ty Questions from a dreamer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gregor asch

Ty Questions from a dreamer

Post by gregor asch »

hi
i've looked at my first Ty. we didnt get to sail it but were able to get in it wander around and Vija could check out the wee cabin. after looking at a billion photos on line it was nice to see the real thing.

two questions:

there was a support bar of maybe 1 and 1/2" pipe under the mast in the cabin.
it was made so it could be removed quickly but it goes through a hole in the floor about 3 and 1/2" and i cant see how its seated on the hull below.
is a saggy cabin roof/trunk something to watch out for with a Ty?

when looking up the mast it seemed to hook to the stern at the top.
the headstay is connected to the mast 3 feet or so below the backstay which is connected to the top of the mast. this seems odd. maybe the rig is too tight pulling the mast?

thanks
_gregor
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Looking At A Ty

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Gregor,

That support is called a compression post. When the shrouds and stays are properly tightened, there is a tendency for them to exert a downward pressure on the mast.

Since the butt of the mast is mounted on the cuddy roof, if it were allowed to be forced downward, it would depress the roof and make it concave.

The compression post is measured to fit snugly in the cabin to support the roof from the inside to prevent this from happening.

Depending on who installed the compression post, usually there is a metal cup, or shoe attached in the bilge to prevent movement of the bottom of the post and keep the post in direct line with the mast

Unless specially ordered, the TY mast is mostly perfectly straight and perpendicular. There are some Ty owners, especially racers, who deliberately spring the top of the mast aft to get a little extra pop from their rig.

Seriously, get the boat. We'll discuss it later. :D

O J
gregor asch

compression post

Post by gregor asch »

so most Ty's should have a compression post at this point in there life?
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Gregor.

A compression post isn't imperative, but it's not a bad idea to have one.

Some boats don't use a post, but have a reinforcing bracket under the tabernacle, (roof mount for the mast), which transfers most of the downward thrust of the mast to either side to be supported by the decks.

O J
gregor asch

Post by gregor asch »

thanks O.J.javascript:emoticon(':D')

seems like an important modification.
is it that folks like to tighten the rig for speed or is it the age of the boats?

what other wise modifications should i keep in mind when looking for a Ty?

there was a discussion on this board about that "sad Ty on ebay" Ed bought. some one talked about getting a trashed Ty. about water freezing inside the small voids around the ballast housing and cracking the hull during the winter on the hard.

is that something to look for? and once i have a boat do i need to guard against that? a special way to dry out the boat for the winter sleep?
or was that just about trashed boats sitting full of freshwater?

thanks so much
_gregor
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

[quote="gregor asch"]thanks O.J.

seems like an important modification.
is it that folks like to tighten the rig for speed or is it the age of the boats?

Reply: Speaking only for myself, I don't over or under tension my standing rigging. I'm not into performance or racing. I'm strictly a recreational sailor

what other wise modifications should i keep in mind when looking for a Ty?

Reply: These boats are built like the Rock of Gibraltar. They stand up to tremendous situations that some other makes would crumble under. Then, when the situation warrants, they can be rebuilt again.
You might check out the condition of the rudder assembly. The older models had some design flaws.

there was a discussion on this board about that "sad Ty on ebay" Ed bought. some one talked about getting a trashed Ty. about water freezing inside the small voids around the ballast housing and cracking the hull during the winter on the hard.

Reply: Most of what you may have heard or read is blatant gossip. What is good or what is terrible is a result of the "eye of the beholder". Ed did very nicely with his purchase. Yes, there are some things that have to be upgraded, but in my opinion, nothing serious. Ed bought this boat with the idea that it is a project boat firmly established in his mind. Ed is perfectly capable of bringing this gem in the rough back to its original glory.

I, too am somewhat familiar with this boat. As you read this, I am doing work on Ed's Ty. The biggest problem that this boat has is that it needs a thorough cleaning. Nothing more much wrong with it in general.

Water freezing in anything is not good, boats not excepted. Freezing water belongs in ice cube trays

is that something to look for? and once i have a boat do i need to guard against that? a special way to dry out the boat for the winter sleep?
or was that just about trashed boats sitting full of freshwater?

Reply:Yes. I feel that a boat should be winterized and protected from the elements. Most Ty owners leave the lowest cock in the hull open and the hose removed. Most owners have a winter cover, or tarp, protecting the boat

FWIW, I know of several Ty and other model CD owners who have salvaged trashed boats and have rebuilt them.

I might add that if you are not fully competent, do not have the facilities or not have access to the proper tools, it might be better for a person with limited knowledge and ability to first purchase a usable sailboat and get to familiarize himself with the tangibles of sailing, rather than become overwhelmed by the process and leave the sport with a bad taste in the mouth and a big hole in the wallet.

O J
dugout

Post by dugout »

Gregor;

My Ty purchase is a pure and simple rescue of a classic. I am not counting on this boat for anything or on any schedule. Yes, buying and owning a classic is certainly desirable, but maybe not a good idea as a first boat. I may be sticking my neck out here but I personally feel a classic deserves a higher level of commitment. This commitment involves normal boat upkeep as well as the added responsibility to maintain it in close to original form. This up's the ante, so to speak.

As a background, I have owned and assortment of boats for 41 years. I live on the water and I’m involved with a boat of some sort almost every day of my life.

Currently
24 Grady White
Pearson 33-1
CD Typhoon
Assortment of tenders and aluminum boats.

This has provided for a relatively broad education. I am generally a good judge of what I can and cannot do; what I should and shouldn’t do, and what I definitely need to have done by professionals. My feeling is a novice and a professional can do almost the same task. The difference is the time it takes and the number of re-dos on the way to completion. There is false economy in tackling some tasks on your own. Others you must learn.

I honestly feel there are literally 100s of small sailboats, under 4K which would make a better “first boat” and teach you general sailing, seamanship, maintenance, and up-keep skills, while providing a rewarding way to spend your free time. Tackling a renovation without any background is a rough way to start. I might be a long time before I launch or sail my Ty. I don’t care about that. My goals are different. If you want a boat to sail then buy a boat to sail now. Not after a years worth of work. It doesn’t have to be a classic. Save that for your next boat. Yes, there is almost always a next boat.

Good luck,

Ed
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

deck compression

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Gregor Use the Search function-enter Typhoon deck compression. You'll find a fairly extensive discussion there as well as other "I want to buy a Ty" issues. I also seem to remember a discussion which said more recent vintage Typhoons (80's), had stronger deck supports. Good Luck!
Mike
wingreen

Typhoon cabin top construction?

Post by wingreen »

While repairing the aft deck on my Ty, which required several weeks of drying out, I decided to remove all the other hardware to see if water was seeping in anywhere else. With all the hardware off the boat, I then used the same "Rot Doctor" epoxy sealer for all the drill holes for all the hardware - I figured, while I'm at it...

Well, while pouring the treatment into the cabin top through the tabernacle holes, I noticed that it was really drinking the stuff up, despite the balsa being in good shape as judged by a few "test" holes drilled into the footprint of the tabernacle. This observation was also repeated for part 2 of the "Rot Doctor" epoxy treatment.

My best judgement is that there were some voids in the cabin top that drained the epoxy treatments. I feel good about having discovered this and hence making my cabin top a little stronger, but I also wonder if this represents a design flaw in the early Tys? There was no evidence of core damage or deterioration so the wood shouldn't have soaked up that much treatment. The only other option, as I see it, is that there were some voids and/or delamination in the cabin top remaining from the time of its construction.

Well, food for thought...
JBA

hooked mast

Post by JBA »

I also have worried about the hook in my mast above the spreaders. Since this concern has not been fully addressed in this discussion, I wonder if anyone has an explanation and a remedy other than buying a new mast?

Thanks
JBA